Types of Counselling
Categories of Counselling
- Educational Counselling: problems that could be of learning, teaching and that of education generally are handled here.
- Marital Counselling: problems that could emanate from married life beginning from spouse selection are resolved here.
- Personal Social Counselling: problems including personality and life in general are taken care of here.
- Rehabilitation Counselling: problems emanating from life disruptions such as accidents, retrenchment and natural mishaps are handled here.
- Vocational Counselling: problems from work and training, career choice making and adjustment are handled here.
- In the person-centred approach, you’re in a relationship with a counsellor in which you can freely express yourself without being judged. This can help you deal with negative feelings and experiences that may have caused problems. It can also help you develop new ways of living your life and relating to others. Person-centred counsellors believe in your potential to make changes that will help you lead a more fulfilling life.
- Counselling for Depression is a short-term therapy for people with depression. It helps you manage your emotions by making sense of them and using them in a more beneficial way. It’s based on the person-centred approach.
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) is for clients suffering from depression. It sees depression as a response to difficulties in relationships. Generally, you’ll work with your therapist on one or two problem relationships in your life that affect how you feel about yourself and others. IPT does not delve into past experiences. Rather it attempts to help you find better ways to deal with current problems.
- Psychodynamic therapy seeks to discover how unconscious thoughts and past experience shape current behaviour. It’s likely you’ll talk to your therapist about your childhood and relationships with parents and others – and how this impacts your day-to-day experiences now.
- Integrative counselling means drawing on and blending different types of therapy. Practitioners of integrative counselling are trained in several different approaches. They do not believe that one approach will work for every client in all situations.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy, or CBT, is a one-to-one talking therapy. It can help with a range of emotional and psychological problems. CBT works on how we think about a situation and how this affects the way we act and feel.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) can help resolve symptoms resulting from disturbing experiences, including trauma. EMDR taps into the brain’s information processing system to relieve the distress caused by a disturbing event. It is a proven way of helping people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- For survivors of sexual abuse and/or rape
- For those whose lives are affected by abuse, domestic violence and drug and alcohol addiction.
- Couples counselling, also known as relationship counselling, offers a caring and supportive environment to help you find a way through any difficulties you may be facing in your relationship with your spouse or partner.
- Explain two types of counselling or
- Explain any four categories of counselling
- Olugbenga, O. D., & Ogidan, D. R. (2014). FUNDAMENTALS OF GUIDANCE AND COUNSELLING. Retrieved 12 23, 2016, from National Open University of Nigeria: http://nou.edu.ng/uploads/fileuploads/GAFdVaNaIV1436440560.pdf
- Types of counselling. (n.d.). Retrieved 12 23, 2016, from Oasis Talk: http://www.oasis-talk.org/services/counselling/types-of-counselling/
6-rules Of Success
Are You Tired Of Failing? Try This Formula
CHANGE IN TERM DATES FOR KENYAN SCHOOLS 2016
Curriculum And Organization
DEFINITION OF PEDAGOGY
Easy Ways Of Planning For Exams
EDUCATIONAL MOTIVATIONAL QUOTES
Explain In Details The System Of Education In Japan Clearly In Terms Of Structure
Explain The Following Words In Relation To Counselling And Guidance
General Principles Of Effective Teaching
GUIDANCE AND COUNSELLING
How To Be A Genius
How To Improve Your Memory
How To Make A Genius Out Of Yourself
How To Make Your Students Remember
MERITS OF GROUPWORK IN A CLASSROOM SITUATION
NEVER GIVE UP
Oops! Not Now Please. The '2017 Leakage' Going Rounds Could Be A Hoax
Scope Of Guidance And Counselling According To Nasibi (2003)
Six Categories Of Learners With Special Needs
TOP 12 THEORIES THAT CAN IMPROVE MATHEMATICS IN YOUR SCHOOL
TOP SEVEN PEDAGOGICAL STRATEGIES THAT CAN DELIVER PERMANENTLY GOOD GRADES IN A SCHOOL
Top Ten Mistakes That Most Kenyan Teachers Make In Their Career Lifetime
WHAT IS PEDAGOGY?
WHAT IS TEACHING?
Why Most Students Score Bad Grades In Mathematics: The Dossier
Why Students Forget The Content They Learn