KCPE 2008 PAST PAPERS, ANSWERS AND REPORTS
SOURCE: KNEC- KENYA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
ENGLISH KCPE PAST PAPERS 2008
KISWAHILI KCPE PAST PAPERS 2008
MATHEMATICS KCPE PAST PAPERS 2008
SCIENCE KCPE PAST PAPERS 2008
SOCIAL STUDIES AND CRE
1.❯ Place value and total value
2.❯ Reading and Writing numbers in symbols and in word
2004 Question 1
2004 Question 3
2004 Question 3
2005 Question 1
2005 Question 2
2005 Question 3
2006 Question 1
2006 Question 5
2007 Question 1
2007 Question 2
2008 Question 1
2008 Question 5
2009 Question 1
2009 Question 10
2010 Question 1
2010 Question 4
KCPE PAST PAPERS 2008: HRE QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
SECTION C HINDU RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. Which one of the following elements of Panch Mahahoot is invoked by the ringing of the bell during the performance of Aarti?
62. Shabari tasted the berries before giving them to Lord Rama. Rama took the berries and ate them. This action by Rama shows that Paramatma is ________
63. The main function of Lord Shiva is to ___
64. Which one of the following statements is not true about Lord Mahavir?
65. Which one of the following is the main reason why Lord Krishna supported the Pandav in the war of Kurukshetra?
66. Guru Teg Bahadur was given the title of Hind ki Chadar because he ___
67. In which one of the following scriptures are the brave actions of Hanuman described?
68. Which one of the following religious movements follows the teachings of Satyarth Prakash?
69. A similarity between Dhammapada and Mahabharata is that both
70. The Kenyan Constitution has given the freedom of worship to all its citizens. This has helped to create harmony among different religions. This is in keeping with the Jam principle of ____
71. Three of the following are reasons why Sikhs practise Naam Japna. Which one is not?
72. The Principle of Dharma that teaches boys and girls to abstain from sex until they get married is
73. Anita and Suhhash used to argue over which television channel to watch. Their mother advised them to watch the channels in turns. The mother taught them the importance of
74. Who among the following Goddesses sits on a lotus and carries one in her hand?
75. Which one of the following Kakars worn by the Sikhs signifies self control?
76. The Hindu sanskar which is administered to students in order to commence formal education is ___
77. During puja, Jams draw the symbol of Swastika on the floor using __________
78. Which one of the following prayers is sung during a Hindu Satsang?
79. Which one of the following utsav is celebrated on Vaisakhi Purnima?
80. Which one of the following events in Lord Mahavir’s life is celebrated during the festival of Diwali?
81. Which one of the following is a reason why Sikhs celebrate Vaisakhi?
82. The Utsav of Guru Purnima is celebrated to honour
83. Three of the following are qualities required of a student wishing to pursue Jnana Yoga. Which one is not?
84. Each Yoga session ends with the
85. Anjali, a standard eight pupil, has been telling Mita that she is unhappy with her parents because they refuse to allow her to go out and play with her friends. The best advice that Mita can give to Anjali is to ___
86. While playing cricket, Hritik accidentally broke a window pane of his neighbour's house. Hritik went and apologized to the neighbour. This act of Hritik shows that he is _____
87. According to Hindu belief, the existing universe will be dissolved by the end of
88. During which season do Jam Sadhu and Sadhavi remain indoors and meditate?
89. Who among the following Karmayogi worked for the improvement of the status of women?
90. Which one of the following national utsav is celebrated by Hindus in Kenya to honour those who fought for Kenya’s independence?
KCPE PAST PAPER 2008: IRE QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
SECTION B: ISLAMIC RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. Which one of the following verses is taken from Surah Quraish?
62. Which one of the following attributes of Allah is mentioned in Suratul Ikhlas?
63. Which one of the following Surahs condemns slanderers and backbiters
64. The main lesson that Muslims can learn from the Episode of the Elephant narrated in Surah Al-Fil is that
65. Which one of the following is a teaching from Surah AI-AIaq?
66. The name of the Kaaba which is not mentioned in the Qur’an is
67. Who among the following prophets was thrown into a burning fire?
68. According to the teaching of the Prophet (p.b.u.h), the unforgivable sin is
69. Which one of the following phrases is in both the Kalima and the Tashahu?
70. ‘Paradise ties under the feet of ……..“. Which one of the following words completes the quoted Hadith of the Prophet?
71. According to the teaching of the Prophet (p.b.u.h), Yarhamukallah should be said when a person
72. Who among the following categories of people is not a recipient of zakat?
73. On which ones of the following two s of the week should Muslims observe sunnah fast?
74. The following are rituals performed for a dead person:
75. The beginning of the Islamic Calendar is based on
76. Which one of the following rituals is common to both Hajj and Umrah?
77. Which one of the following acts of wudhu is not fardh?
78. Which one of the following is an example of sadaqa?
79. Which one of the following is the fundamental pillar of Iman?
80. The main reason why Muslims offer greetings before other utterances is because
81. Three of the following statements are true about what will happen on the Day of Judgment.
Which one is not?
82. When collecting information about the Angels of Allah, Amina a class six pupil. wrote the sentences listed below Which one of them is false?
83. Which one of the following statements is not true about eddat?
84. During Lailatul - Isra — wal — Miraj the Prophet (p.b.u.h) was commanded to
85. The most important activity during Milad — un — Nabi celebrations should be
86. Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) was buried in
87. The main lesson that Muslims learnt from the battle of Uhud was that
88. The first outsiders to visit the east coast of Africa were
89. Who among the following prophets is not Ulul Azm?
90. When going home after attending prayers at the mosque, your classmate Said tells you that he put on somebody else’s shoes by mistake.
The right advice that you would give him is to
KCPE PAST PAPERS 2008 FOR CRE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
PART II RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
SECTION A: CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. Which one of the following was a result of the disobedience of human beings in the garden of Eden?
They were to
62. God punished the people during the time of Noah by sending
63. The main lesson Christians learn from the call of Abraham by God is that they should be
64. During the Passover night, the Israelites were to eat bitter herbs to show
65. A problem faced by the Israelites during the exodus was lack of
66. Which one of the following qualities of leadership was mainly shown by David when he fought Goliath?
67. Which one of the following sins was committed by King Solomon? He
68. Which one of the following miracles was performed by both prophet Elijah and Elisha?
69. Jeremiah refused to accept the call to become a prophet of God because he felt he was
70. Which one of the following activities is correctly matched with the people who performed it during the early life of Jesus?
71. Joseph and Mary took baby Jesus to Egypt because
72. Which one of the following parables of Jesus encourages Christians to bring members back to church? The parable of the
73. “The son of man is the Lord of the Sabbath.’ (Luke 6:5).
Those words were spoken by Jesus when
74. The main lesson Christians learn from the healing of the man with demons is that Jesus
75. The main lesson Christians learn from the teaching of Jesus on wealth is that it should be
76. Which one of the following events took place when Jesus was at the garden of Gethsemane? Jesus was ____
77. A lesson Christians learn about Jesus from Cleopas and his friend on their way to Emmaus is that Jesus
78. On the day of Pentecost people spoke in many languages because they
79. Which one of the following statements is true about Ananias and Sapphira? They
80. During the time of the early church, the apostles were assisted to share money among the believers by
81. Which one of the following acts of worship was done by Paul and Silas when they were in prison? They
82. Which one of the following beliefs about God is found m both traditional African communities and in the Apostles’ Creed? God
83. Gifts are given to a couple during the wedding in both traditional African communities and Christianity mainly to
84. Who among the following people were not specialist in traditional African communities?
85. The best way a Christian can show respect for authority is by
86. Your desk-mate tells you that he has a fifty shilling note which he picked from his friend’s school bag.
As a Christian what advice would you give him? Tell him to ___
87. After assisting his mother with kitchen work, Tom realizes that he has some extra time. As a Christian the best way to spend it is by
88. Nancy, a standard six pupil, is lazy and does not complete her class work. I-low best would you help her overcome this problem?
89. Jane. a Standard Eight pupil, is being forced to get married by her parents before she sits for the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education examination. As a Christian what action should she take? She should ___
90. Which one of the following actions does not lead to the spread of HIV AIDS?
KCPE PAST PAPER FOR SOCIAL STUDIES 2008 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
PART I SOCIAL STUDIES
Study the map of MINA area and answer questions 1 to 7.
1. The length of the railway from the level crossing to the edge of the map is approximately
2. The general direction of flow of River Mina ¡s
3. Which one of the following types of soil is likely to be commonly found ¡n Gola sub-location?
4. The main factor that may have influenced the setting up of a cattle ranch in Pone sub-location is the availability of
5. In Mina Area, there are permanent settlements in all the sub-locations except
6. What evidence in the map shows that Mina Town is an administrative centre? Presence of
7. Which one of the following is the main source of revenue for Mina Urban Council?
8. Which one of the following was the title given to the ruler of Buganda Kingdom in the 19th century?
9. Which one of the following minerals is used for making glass?
10. Nairobi is cooler than Mombasa because
11. Who among the following traditional Kenyan leaders collaborated with the British during the establishment of colonial rule?
12. The diagram below represents a method of fishing.
The fishing method shown in the diagram is
13. Which one of the following was the function of the council of elders among the Ameru during the pre-colonial period?
14. In Kenya, a parliamentary bill becomes law only when it has been signed by
15. Below are some modem means of communication:
16. Which one of the following statement is true about small scale farming in Kenya?
17. Which one of the following statements correctly describes the social organization of the San during the pre-colonial period?
18. Which one of the following countries in Africa is correctly matched with its capital city?
Country Capital city
19. Which one of the following is a function of a primary school management committee?
20. The Eastern Bantu dispersed from Shungwaya during the pre-colonial period mainly because
21. Which one of the following is the main effect of destruction of forests on the slopes of Mt. Kenya?
22. Where was the first Christian mission station in Kenya established in the 19th century?
23. The darn marked P was built mainly to
24. The ocean current that influences the climate of the area marked Q is
25. The countries marked R and S were colonized by
26. The island marked T is
27. In Old Ghana, the king was succeeded by
28. The best way to control sheet erosion is by_____
29. Who among the following leaders in Tanganyika united the Africans during the Maji Maji rebellion?
30. Which one of the following cultural practices did the Abaluyia borrow from the Luo as they interacted during the pre-colonial period?
31. Which one of the following statements is true about the free range method of chicken rearing?
32. The imperial British East Africa Company stopped administering Kenya because
33. Leo has found out that his classmate Joni is living with HIV and the condition is affecting his learning. The right action for Leo to take is to ___
34. Olorgesaille and Kariandusi are both
35. Mama wishes to set up a Jua Kali industry. Which one of the following is the main factor that would influence the choice of location?
36. In traditional African communities, the basic unit of social organization was
37. Which one of the following was the main reason why the British built the Uganda railway?
38. which one of the following groups of crops in Kenya is grown mainly in plantations?
39. The method used by the Portuguese to administer Mozambique was
40. Below are ways of acquiring skills of treating the sick:
41. One of the duties of African chiefs in Kenya during the colonial period was to
42. The main problem limiting trade among African countries ¡s that
43. Which one of the following groups of mountains in Africa are block mountains?
44. Which one of the following is the main reason why caning of pupils in school was banned in Kenya?
45. Which one of the following would be the best way of controlling rapid population growth in towns in Kenya?
46. Which one of the following was the main reason why proverbs were used in teaching the youth in traditional African communities?
47. Which one of the following groups of countries in Africa got assistance from the Organization of African Unity (OAU) to achieve independence?
48. Thika has grown to an important town mainly because
49. which one of the following became the title of the Head of State in Kenya when the country was declared a republic?
50. Three of the following are benefits resulting from setting up of Perkerra Irrigation Scheme.
Which one is not?
51. A vehicle has overturned near your school arid the driver has a deep cut on the leg. Which one of the following would be the immediate action for you to take to help the driver?
52. Which one of the following courts in Kenya deals with cases involving people under 18 years of age?
53. Below are characteristics of a type of climate in Africa.
54. Which one of the following is a service industry?
55. Which one of the following statements is true of both the Tswana and the Fulani?
56. Three of the following are benefits of democracy. Which one is not?
57. Most of the horticultural products from Kenya are exported by
58. Mzee Jasho has shared his piece of land among his children. A dispute arises over the different sizes of land that they have been given. The best way for Mzee Jasho lo settle the dispute is by
59. A foreigner who wishes to become a citizen of Kenya is required to obtain
60. The reason why the Kenya National Anthem is important is that
SCIENCE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS