Free KCPE Past Papers and Answers 2019
I know you are here because you are looking for the KCPE past papers and their answers in PDF format. Well! Well! You are on the right place and platform.
The Past papers you are seeking are downloadable below and are free and printable. To download answers, check further below or just touch here
SOCIAL STUDIES KCPE PAST PAPERS 2009 QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Study the map of RAMALI area and answer questions 1 to 7.
1. The natural vegetation found around Kera market is ____
2. The approximate area of cotton farm is
3. River Ramali flows from
4. Which one of the following social services is provided at Pori market?
5. In which one of the following parts of Ramali area are most of the settlements found?
6. The main economic activity carried out in Ramali area is ______
7. The climate of Ramali area can be described as
8. In traditional African societies, the youth were taught moral laws mainly to
9. Which one of the following statements is true about traditional industries during the pre-colonial period?
10. The diagram below represents a physical feature. Use it to answer the question that follows: -
The feature marked X is
11. During the pre-colonial period, the Baganda were ruled by
12. Which one of the following methods of colonial administration was used by the British in Northern Nigeria?
13. in which of the following months is the sun overhead at the equator?
14. The following are functions that were performed by traditional leaders during the pre-colonial, period.
15. Which one of the following groups-of people belong to a nuclear family?
16. Which one of the following communities is CORRECTLY matched with the commodity they traded in during the pre-colonial period?
Community Items of trade
Use the map of Kenya below to answer Questions 17 to 20
17. Which one of the following language groups migrated into Kenya along the route marked H?
18. Which one of the following statements explains why the shaded area marked J is densely populated?
19. The country marked K is ____
20. Which one of the following statements is true about the river marked L?
21. The best way to ensure that the school is kept clean all the time is by
22. The following statements describe a prominent traditional Kenyan leader.
23. Which group of characteristics shown below describes the equatorial vegetation?
24. The main contribution of petroleum to the economy on Nigeria is that it has led to
25. Below are some ways used for predicting the coming of a rainy season.
26. Who among the following African leaders resisted the establishment of French Colonial rule?
27.Which one of the following countries is correctly matched with its capital city?
Country Capital city
28. Three of the following are problems experienced by farmers in Mwea — Tebere Irrigation Scheme. Which one is not?
29. Horticultural farming in Kenya is different from that in the Netherlands in that____
30. Aku, your classmate, has been performing poorly in class because she learnt that her parents are HIV positive. Which one of the following is the best action for you to take to help Aku?
31.The diagram below represents a method used to conserve soil.
The method represented in the diagram above Is
32. Game reserves have been established in Kenya mainly to
33. The following are some historical events that have taken place since independence.
34. The main reason why the United Nations (UN) was formed was to
35. Three of the following statements are true about the Tswana pastoralists. Which one is not?
36.Which one of the following was a result of settler farming in Kenya?
37. Which one of the following is NOT a function of the body in charge of elections in Kenya?
38: Which one of the following groups of countries formed the East-African Community in 1967?
39. Which one of the following cash crops is commonly grown in Zanzibar?
40. Three of the following are roles of political parties in a democracy. Which one is not?
41. Fresh flowers from Kenya are exported to Europe by air because air transport is
42. In Kenya, a national population census is carried out after a period of
43. A pupil has been told by the parents to help in fetching water for sale instead of attending school. The best action for the pupil to take is to ____
44. The Harambee movement in Kenya has led to ___
45. One of the problems affecting fishing in Lake Victoria is that _____
46. Which one of the following is the reason why Madaraka Day is celebrated in Kenya?
47. Which one of the following statements is true of both Julius Nyerere of Tanzania and Haile Selassie of Ethiopia?
48. Which one of the following tourist attractions in Africa is correctly matched with the country where it is found?
Tourist attraction Country
49. Which one of the following is a role of the school management committee in public primary schools in Kenya?
50. Which one of the following is a requirement for a person who wishes to be elected as a member of parliament in Kenya?
The person should be ____
51. Which one of the following places is the safest for pupils to cross the road?
52. Which one of the following groups of industries consists of service industries?
53. Which one of the following government officers is correctly matched with the right responsibility?
Government officer Responsibilities
54. In Kenya, civil marriages are conducted by
55. A foreigner living in Kenya may enjoy the following rights except.
56. ln Kenya, fluorspar is mined through
57. The best way through which protects can help he other pupils to become responsible citizens is by .
58. One of the functions of local authorities in Kenya is to _________________
59. Three of the following are ways through which national unity can be promoted ¡n Kenya.
Which one is not?
60. Which one of the following is a function of parliament in Kenya?
OTHER HELPFUL LINKS
KCPE PAST PAPER FOR SOCIAL STUDIES 2008 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
PART I SOCIAL STUDIES
Study the map of MINA area and answer questions 1 to 7.
1. The length of the railway from the level crossing to the edge of the map is approximately
2. The general direction of flow of River Mina ¡s
3. Which one of the following types of soil is likely to be commonly found ¡n Gola sub-location?
4. The main factor that may have influenced the setting up of a cattle ranch in Pone sub-location is the availability of
5. In Mina Area, there are permanent settlements in all the sub-locations except
6. What evidence in the map shows that Mina Town is an administrative centre? Presence of
7. Which one of the following is the main source of revenue for Mina Urban Council?
8. Which one of the following was the title given to the ruler of Buganda Kingdom in the 19th century?
9. Which one of the following minerals is used for making glass?
10. Nairobi is cooler than Mombasa because
11. Who among the following traditional Kenyan leaders collaborated with the British during the establishment of colonial rule?
12. The diagram below represents a method of fishing.
The fishing method shown in the diagram is
13. Which one of the following was the function of the council of elders among the Ameru during the pre-colonial period?
14. In Kenya, a parliamentary bill becomes law only when it has been signed by
15. Below are some modem means of communication:
16. Which one of the following statement is true about small scale farming in Kenya?
17. Which one of the following statements correctly describes the social organization of the San during the pre-colonial period?
18. Which one of the following countries in Africa is correctly matched with its capital city?
Country Capital city
19. Which one of the following is a function of a primary school management committee?
20. The Eastern Bantu dispersed from Shungwaya during the pre-colonial period mainly because
21. Which one of the following is the main effect of destruction of forests on the slopes of Mt. Kenya?
22. Where was the first Christian mission station in Kenya established in the 19th century?
23. The darn marked P was built mainly to
24. The ocean current that influences the climate of the area marked Q is
25. The countries marked R and S were colonized by
26. The island marked T is
27. In Old Ghana, the king was succeeded by
28. The best way to control sheet erosion is by_____
29. Who among the following leaders in Tanganyika united the Africans during the Maji Maji rebellion?
30. Which one of the following cultural practices did the Abaluyia borrow from the Luo as they interacted during the pre-colonial period?
31. Which one of the following statements is true about the free range method of chicken rearing?
32. The imperial British East Africa Company stopped administering Kenya because
33. Leo has found out that his classmate Joni is living with HIV and the condition is affecting his learning. The right action for Leo to take is to ___
34. Olorgesaille and Kariandusi are both
35. Mama wishes to set up a Jua Kali industry. Which one of the following is the main factor that would influence the choice of location?
36. In traditional African communities, the basic unit of social organization was
37. Which one of the following was the main reason why the British built the Uganda railway?
38. which one of the following groups of crops in Kenya is grown mainly in plantations?
39. The method used by the Portuguese to administer Mozambique was
40. Below are ways of acquiring skills of treating the sick:
41. One of the duties of African chiefs in Kenya during the colonial period was to
42. The main problem limiting trade among African countries ¡s that
43. Which one of the following groups of mountains in Africa are block mountains?
44. Which one of the following is the main reason why caning of pupils in school was banned in Kenya?
45. Which one of the following would be the best way of controlling rapid population growth in towns in Kenya?
46. Which one of the following was the main reason why proverbs were used in teaching the youth in traditional African communities?
47. Which one of the following groups of countries in Africa got assistance from the Organization of African Unity (OAU) to achieve independence?
48. Thika has grown to an important town mainly because
49. which one of the following became the title of the Head of State in Kenya when the country was declared a republic?
50. Three of the following are benefits resulting from setting up of Perkerra Irrigation Scheme.
Which one is not?
51. A vehicle has overturned near your school arid the driver has a deep cut on the leg. Which one of the following would be the immediate action for you to take to help the driver?
52. Which one of the following courts in Kenya deals with cases involving people under 18 years of age?
53. Below are characteristics of a type of climate in Africa.
54. Which one of the following is a service industry?
55. Which one of the following statements is true of both the Tswana and the Fulani?
56. Three of the following are benefits of democracy. Which one is not?
57. Most of the horticultural products from Kenya are exported by
58. Mzee Jasho has shared his piece of land among his children. A dispute arises over the different sizes of land that they have been given. The best way for Mzee Jasho lo settle the dispute is by
59. A foreigner who wishes to become a citizen of Kenya is required to obtain
60. The reason why the Kenya National Anthem is important is that
KCPE PAST PAPER 2007 SOCIAL STUDIES QUESTION AND ANSWERS
PART I: SOCIAL STUDIES
Study the map of TIMO area and answer questions 1 to 7.
1. What is the general direction of Wete School from the coffee factory?
2. What is the approximate area of Timo Town in square kilometers?
3. Most of the settlements in Timo area are found
4. Which one of the following features would attract tourists in Zime Location?
5. The climate experienced in Moka Location is likely to be
6. Some cows have strayed into the maize plantation in Roti Location and destroyed the crop. The correct action for the owner of the plantation to take is to
7. Which one of the following social services is not available in Timo town?
8. Which one of the following factors least explains why the Bantu migrated from their original homeland into Eastern Africa?
9. Which one of the following gives the correct the evolution of Early Man?
10. Which one of the following was a result of the coming of the Arabs to Eastern Africa?
11. The main reason for teaching moral laws to the youth is to ___
12. Which one of the following duties was performed by the Ntemi Chief among the Nyamwezi during the pre-colonial period?
13. Which one of the following method of irrigation is used in the Ahero Irrigation Scheme?
14. The graph below represents the climate of a town in Africa.
Which one of the following statements correctly describes the climate of the town?
15. One of the roles of prefects in school management is to
16. Tamaru is a sister to Mbeya. Tamaru has a son called Ndavi while Mbeya has a daughter called Maria. To Ndavi, Maria is a
17. Which one of the following is the main benefit the West African countries have gained as members of the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS)?
18. Your class went on a study tour of an area whose vegetation had the following characteristics:
19. Use the map of Africa below to answer questions 19, 20, 21 and 22.
The country marked J was colonized by
20. The main economic activity carried out in the shaded area marked K is
21. The multi-purpose project found in the place marked L is the
22. What is the time in Alexandria on longitude 30°E when it is 9.00 am in Oran on longitude 0°?
23. You have noticed that your friend Kefa has started smoking. What would be the best action for you to take in order to help him stop the behaviour?
24. Which one of the following African leaders collaborated with the Europeans during the establishment of Colonial rule?
25. The diagram below shows a method of fishing.
The fishing method represented in the diagram is
26. The main method used by the Africans in Zimbabwe to attain their independence was
27. Which one of the following is the correct order of the Provincial Administration in Kenya?
28. To make a complete rotation on its axis, the earth takes
29 Which one of the following is a benefit of a representative democracy?
30. A Standard VIII prefect finds her two classmates quarrelling in class. The right action for the prefect to take is o
31. Which one of the following methods is used to mine limestone in Kenya?
32. Which one of the following groups consists of crops grown in Kenya during the pre-colonial period?
33. Which one of the following is a way of promoting peace in society?
34. The court system in Kenya is headed by the
35. The following are conditions necessary for growing a cash crop in Africa.
36. The government of Swaziland is headed by
37. Three of the following are roles played by the early political associations ¡n Kenya between 1914 and 1945.
Which one is not?
38. Mutua, a football prayer who is representing Kenya in the Commonwealth Games is promised a lot of money by a Canadian Coach if he agrees to play for Canada. He refuses the offer.
The action by Mutua shows that
39. The Age-sex pyramid below represents the population of Germany.
Which one of the following statements is true about the population according to the pyramid?
40. Which one of the following statements is true about the geographical position of Kenya?
41. The main role of the opposition parties in a democratic system of government is to
42. Road safety education is taught in primary schools in Kenya in order to
43. The most widespread means of passing information in the rural areas of Africa is by
44. The main problem facing agricultural cooperative societies in Kenya is
45. The following are farming practices in Africa.
46. Which one of the following is an achievement of Daniel arap Moi’?
47. Which one of the following statements is true about horticultural farming in both Kenya and the Netherlands?
In both countries
48. According to the laws of Kenya, amending the constitution is the responsibility of
49 The main reason why wife inheritance should be discouraged in Kenya is because it leads to
50. Who among the following Municipal Council officials is elected?
51. Which one of the following organs of the United Nations (UN) is responsible for resolving disputes between member countries?
52. The main factor that influences the location of a furniture making industry is
53. Lewa, a pupil at Chui Primary School has been refused by his teacher to go for break for failing to answer questions in class.
Which one of the following child rights has Lewa been denied?
54. Which one of the following types of soil erosion is correctly matched with the area where it commonly occurs?
55. Which one of the following is the best way of conserving wildlife?
56. The Atlas mountains were formed as a result of
57. The main problem resulting from rapid population growth in the rural areas in Kenya is that it has led to
58. Three of the following are problems experienced in urban centres in Kenya.
Which one is not?
59. David Smith, a former British citizen has acquired Kenyan Citizenship through naturalization. Smith may loose his Kenyan citizenship if he
60 In Kenya the national flag is raised in order to
THE KCPE PAST PAPERS 2006 SOCIAL STUDIES QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Study the map of Mula Area and answer questions I to 7.
1. The general direction of flow of river Muta is from
2. What is the approximate length in kilometres of the railway line shown on the map?
3. The main economic activity carried out in Mula Area is _____
4. Three of the following services are available in Mula town. Which one is not?
5.The climate of the area between Muko and Wema markets is likely to be
6. The school in Mula town wishes to enlarge its compound. Which one of the following government offices should the school approach for more land?
7. A trader in Wema market urgently wishes to order for goods from a supplier in Mula town. The quickest means of placing the order would be
8. Which one of the following pre-historic sites in Eastern Africa is correctly matched with the country where it is located?
Prehistoric site Country
9. Traditional artefacts are kept in museums because
10. The type of mountain represented in the diagram was formed as a result of
11. Which one of the following is the least important benefit of Mt. Kenya?
12. Leopold Sedar Senghor contributed to democracy in Senegal by
13. Below are some characteristics of a type of vegetation found in Africa.
14. In which one of the following ways is a person likely to be infected with HIV and AIDS?
15. One of the achievements of Nelson Mandela is that
16. Two pupils are arguing about the ownership of a book. The best way for the teacher to resolve the conflict is by
17. Which one of the following was a result of the settlement of the Arabs along the coast of East Africa?
18. Which one of the following was a reason why the Mau Mau uprising took place in Kenya?
19. It is important for Kenya citizens to vote during the general elections because
20. Below are some characteristics of a type of soil:
21. The town marked J is
22. Which one of the following routes did the River- Lake Nilotes follow when they were migrating into Kenya during the pro-colonial period?
23. The cash crop grown in the shaded area marked K is
24. The lake marked L is
25. Three of the following are ways through which the youth were taught in traditional Kenyan societies. Which one is not?
26. One of the reasons why African countries formed the African Union (AU) was to
27. Which one of the following statements is true about clans in traditional African societies’
28. Matatu accidents in Kenya have become fewer in recent years. This is mainly because of the introduction of
29. A pupil has been sexually abused by a stranger on the way home from school. The immediate action for the parents to take is to
30. Children are expected to take part in family duties because
31. Below are some minerals mined in Eastern Africa.
32. which one of the following Human Rights is enjoyed by Kenya citizens on attaining the age of 18 years?
33. In which one of the following ways have the Maasai pastoralists benefited from government support?
34. Which one of the following statements is true about the policy of assimilation in Senegal?
35. The main reason why the government encourages afforestation in Kenya is to
36. Which one of the following colours of the national flag of Kenya represents land of plenty?
37. The Tigre and Amhara Communities live mainly in
38. Which one of the following statements is true about Lake Bogoria?
39. In Kenya, justice is administered by
40. Which one of the following Kenyan communities is correctly matched with its traditional leader?
41. The diagram below shows an instrument used for recording an element of weather.
The element of weather recorded using the instrument shown above is
42. Cigarette smoking is being discouraged in Kenya because
43. The statements below describe a town in Kenya.
44. Which one of the following statements is true about the areas where wheat is grown?
44. Which one of the following statements is true about the areas where wheat is grown?
45. Which one of the following groups of countries was colonised by the British?
46. Which one of the following police units in Kenya is correctly matched with its duty?
Police Unit Duty
47. Below are some characteristics of a type of climate experienced in Africa.
48. Which one of the following statements explains why there are few roads in the northern parts of Kenya?
49. The main problem experienced by agricultural cooperative societies in Kenya ¡s
50. Which one of the following factors has led to a decline in the rate of population growth in Kenya?
51. The diagram below represents a type of a lake.
The type of lake shown is
52. Which one of the following is the best way through which the Government of Kenya can attract more tourists into the country?
53. Ngao has been caught by his classmates stealing a bunch of ripe bananas from a farm near their school. The most appropriate action for the pupils to take is to
54. The governments of Kenya and Swaziland are similar in that
55. Which one of the following dams in Africa is correctly matched with the river on which it is Located?
56. The best way of encouraging more fishing in the rivers in Kenya is by
57, Below are statements about a political party in Kenya.
58. Which one of the following was the reason why COMESA was established?
59. Three of the following are benefits of democracy.
Which one is not?
60. Below are some factors which determine the location of industries:
social studies kcpe 2005 questions & answers
1. The general direction of the murram pit from the Chiefs Camp is ___________
2. The length of the tarmac road from the junction at Ama town t the tea factory is approximately
3. Which one of the following factors makes the North Eastern part of Am Area suitable for tea growing?
4. Which one of the following Local Authorities administers Ama Area?
5. The main source of water for the residents of Ama town is ________
6. Three of the following are economic activities practiced in Ama Area. Which one is not?
7. A person has set fire to the Rest House in Ama town. The most appropriate action that the owner should take is to report the incident to
8. Which one of the following groups represents a single parent family?
9. Which one of the following is the main reason why the Somali migrated into Kenya during the pre-colonial period? .
10.Traditional healers wore special charms in order to ______
11. Which one of the following group of industries consists of service industries?
12 Which one of the following occasions brought people of different ages together in most African communities during pre-colonial period?
13: The main problem that has contributed to the decline in coffee production in Kenya is
14. The diagram below represents an instrument that is used to measure an element of weather
Which one of the following elements of weather is measured using the instrument shown in the diagram?
16. The government encourages the development of Jua Kali industries in Kenya mainly to
17. In which one of the following areas in Kenya are mangrove forests found?
18. Which one of the following statements correctly describes the climate of the station?
19. Which one of the following activities of the European colonial rulers had a good effect on Africans?
20. Which one of the following statements is true of age groups among African communities in Kenya?
21. Which one of the following Kenyan communities is correctly matched with its place of origin? Community Place of origin
22. Who among the following traditional African leaders fought against the establishment of British Colonial rule in Kenya?
23. Which one of the following countries in Africa was colonised by the French?
24. Below are factors that influenced the origin of a town in Kenya
25.The Almoravids attacked the Kingdom of Old Ghana in order to .
Use the map of Africa below to answer questions 26 to 29
26. The position of Khartoum is ______
27. Which one of the following types of climate is experienced in the area marked P?
28.The river marked Q Is _____
29.The traditional kingdom that existed in the area marked R was founded by ______
30. The best way of reducing road accidents in Kenya is by ____
31. The African communities that resisted European colonization were defeated mainly because ______
32. The horticultural crops that are grown in Kenya mainly for export are _______
33. Which one of the following was a function of the Kabaka of Buganda during the pre-colonial period?
34. Which of the following is a reason why the Maasai collaborated with the British during the establishment of colonial rule?
A. They wanted to strengthen their trade links with the British.
B. They wanted to get employment in the settler farms. .
C. They wanted the support of the British against their enemies.
D. They wanted to get modern education.
35. Which one of the following statements is true about the population of both Kenya and India?
A. It LS mainly made up of old people.
B, The rate of population increase is low.
C. Most people live in town.
D. It is mainly made up of young people.
36. The cheapest method of preserving fish is by
C. sun drying
D. deep frying
37. Which one of the following was a way of treating the sick in the traditional African societies?
A. Drinking porridge
B. Eating moat.
C. Performing physical exercises.
D. Using herbs. .
38. Which one of the following statements is true about farming in Kenya during the pre-colonial period?
A. Fertilizer was used in the growing of crops.
B. Most of crops were grown for sale
C. Communities practiced shifting cultivation
D. Most communities grew crops through irrigation.
39. Which one of the following would be the best way of controlling rural-urban migration in Kenya?
A. Encouraging setting up of industries in the rural areas.
B. Advising the unemployed people to stay in the rural areas.
C. Providing free food to people in the rural areas.
D. Providing tree primary education in the rural areas.
40. The highland areas of Kenya have high population density because ___________
A. there is enough pasture for livestock
B. there is enough space for settlement
C. the climate is warm
D. the soils are fertile
41. Which one of ‘he following was an effect of the Second World War on African Nationalism in Kenya?
A. It made the Africans stop working in the Europeans farms
B. It increased the African& desire for independence
C. It led to the Africans being nominated to the Legislative Council
D. It reduced the African's dislike for the Europeans
42. Which one of the following statements is true about trees in the planted forests in Kenya?
A. The trees have thorns.
B. Most of the trees have climbers.
C. Most of the trees mature fast.
D. The trees are of different types.
43. The United Nations Organisation was formed in 1945 mainly to .
A. promote democracy ¡n the world
B. promote economic cooperation among nations
C. promote Human Rights in all the countries
D. promote peace in the world
44. The political party which led Ghana to independence in 1 957 was .
A. the Nation& Liberation Movement (NIM)
B. the Convention People’s Party (CPPI
C. the Northern Peoples’ Party (NPP)
D. the United Gold Coast Convention (UGCC)
45. Below are statements about the achievement of an African head of state;
46. Three of the following statements are true about the Commonwealth. Which one is not?
47. The main benefit of tourism to Kenya Is that It ____
48. Which one of the following is a reason why maize is widely grown in Kenya and Tanzania?
50. Below are statements about a mineral in Kenya.
51.ln Kenya, 12th December 1964 is remembered as the day when the country became
52. Which one of the following African countries is correctly matched with its first president?
53. In Kenya. laws are made by ______
54. One parliamentary duty of the president of Kenya is to ______
55. Which one of the following countries is a member of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)?
56. Policemen on patrol rescue suspected thieves from mob justice in order to ____
57. The main source of revenue for the Government of Kenya is ______
58. Three of the following are national philosophies in Kenya. Which one is not?
69. Nomination of members of parliament in Kenya is done by _______
60. Which one of the following courts in Kenya is the lowest?
OTHER HELPFUL LINKS
KCPE 2004 SOCIAL STUDIES
1. The natural vegetation found in the south western part of Loti area is_____________
2. Lofi town serves mainly as __________
3. What is the approximate length of the telephone line from the point where it crosses Lango road to the south-eastern edge of the map?
4. What evidence on the map shows that there is likely to be security in Loll town?
5. According to the information on the map, three of the following statements are true.
Which one is not?
6 The main factor that may influence the setting up of posho mill at Pili market is the availability of ___
7. Which two religions are practiced in Lofi area?
8. Which one of the following communities in Kenya make up the Plain Nilotes?
9. Which one of the following describes the position of the Old Ghana Kingdom?
10. The Khoikhoi chiefs had little power mainly because
11. Meru town receives more rainfall than Nanyuki town because ________ .
12. Below are statements about a river in Africa
13. In which two of the following months is the sun overhead at the equator?
14. Which one of the following mountains was formed as a result of faulting?
Study the diagram below and use It to answer question 15.
15. The diagram illustrates the formation of a_________
16. Samori Toure signed the Peace Treaty of Bissandugu with the French in order to___________
17. Which one of the following groups of factors led to the Mail Maji uprising in 1905?
18. Which one of the following stages shows the correct order of becoming an elder in traditional African communities?
19. Frente de liberatacao de Mozambique (FRELIMO) was formed in Mozambique mainly to________
Below Is a diagram showing a method of fishing. Use it to answer question 20.
20. The fishing method shown in the diagram is
21. Which one of the following statements is true about bananas in Somalia? They are __________
22. The main reason for establishing the Volta River project in Ghana was to
23. The Central part of Tanzania is unsuitable for dairy farming mainly because the area
24. From which direction did the Bantu enter into Eastern Africa?
25. Which one of the following is a function of Kenya Cooperative Creameries (KCC)?
26. The party that led South Africa to its independence in 1994 was ________
27. Which one of the following is an economic use of the soil?
28. Which one of the following towns in Kenya is important mining centre?
29. Which one of the following means of communication was used to pass information to distant places in traditional African societies?
30. Three of the following were achievements of Gamel Abdel Nasser of Egypt. Which one was not?
31. Which one of the following reasons least explains why corruption should be wiped out in Kenya.
32. During the pre-colonial period, African communities protected their homes against enemies mainly by .
33. Among the Agikuyu, people who were initiated together formed .
34. Which one of the following Kenyan Communities is correctly matched with its leader during the process of British occupation?
35. Which one of the following statements is not true about planted forests in Kenya?
36. The main function of a school in Kenya is to
37. The reason why naming ceremonies were held among the traditional African communities was that they .
38. Flowers are exported by air mainly because they .
38. Flowers are exported by air mainly because they __________________
39. Below are three communities in Kenya:
Use the map of Africa below to answer questions 40 to 44
40. The Island marked P is __________--
41 . The major crop grown in the region marked Q is _______________
42. Which of the following statements is true about the ocean current labelled R? The ocean current .
43. The country marked S is _______________
44. The mineral mined at the place marked T is
45. Which one of the following gives the correct order in which the ancestors of the Luo came to Kenya?
46. The role of the head teacher in the school committee is to ________
47. One may become a Kenyan citizen through
48. Which one of the following is the main function of the armed forces in Kenya?
49.During the pre-colonial period, the youth learnt to be good citizens mainly by
50. In traditional African societies, the people who could foretell future events were called
51. The main reason why people in Kenya are counted every ten years is to ________________
52. Which one of the following events took place in Kenya in 1991?
53. The stages through which a bill becomes law are called __________________
54. The most senior civil servant in a government ministry in Kenya is the ______________
55. In Kenya. the rights of an individual are guaranteed by the _____________
56. The main economic activity of people living in cold deserts is __________________
57. The best way of encouraging people in Kenya to be Jaw abiding Is by ________________
58. The traditional system of government in Somalia was based on _________________
59. Which one of the following officers advises the Government of Kenya on legal matters?
60. Three of the following are powers of the President of Kenya. Which one is not?
K.C.P.E PAST PAPERS: 2012 SOCIAL STUDIES REPORT
The number of candidates that sat for the 2012 KCPE social studies increased from 766,355 in 2011 to 811,688 in 2012
Candidates General Performance
candidates ‘performance for the last four years
The following observations are made from the table above:
KCPE Social Studies Syllabus Coverage in 2012
The above table shows that the distribution of items according to the weighting of each topic in the syllabus was good. The three main topics covering a significant proportion in the syllabus were well represented: Resources and Economical activities (32%), Physical Environment (18%) and Political developments and systems 13%. Topics that are short and less emphasized in the syllabus have been given low representation: Citizenship (2%) and Democracy and Human rights (2%).
Distribution of Cognitive Skills
Distribution of cognitive Skills in The 2012 KCPE Social Studies
As shown in the table above, all levels of cognitive domain were tested. The distribution of the cognitive skills was even, based on the levels. The middle level skills had more questions; Comprehension 20%, Application 23% and Analysis 27%. The low level and high level skill had fewer questions, 10% of the total syllabus coverage.
Analysis of Performance per Item
From the above graph, the general performance per item was good. Only three items had a facility index of below 35%. Any item where the candidate scoring was below 35% was perceived as poor performance. These items are: 18(19.78%), 19(31.80%), 47(21.88%).
Questions with a facility index of 35 % and below
The items that performed poorly as per the facility index are discussed below. The discussion will focus on ideas, skills and thinking processes that the candidate might have gone through to come up with the answer. The asterisks * denotes the correct response.
|% CHOOSING PATTERN||31.80||20.23||24.69||22.01|
The question was an analysis and it required the candidate to have knowledge on the French policy of assimilation in Senegal in order to pick the correct answer. This topic is taught in class 7. Though the bright candidates were able to give the correct answer A (Africans become citizens of French), the other candidates were unable to distinguish assimilation policy from other systems of colonial administration. Teachers must have concentrated in various types of colonial administration and not the in-depth description of the various systems.
The main reason why petroleum products are transported using a pipeline is that it
- A. reduces the number of heavy vehicles on roads
- B. costs less than using other forms of transport
- C. protects the petrol from being stolen
- D. ensures that petrol is safe from fire.
|% CHOOSING PATTERN||19.35||21.88||10.89||46.57|
This was an evaluation question, which required candidates’ to make judgment on the most correct answer. Most students chose D, (Ensures that petrol is safe from fire). This may have been attributed to the frequent cases of fire outbreak caused by tankers. However even the brighter candidates still went for A (reduces the number of heavy vehicles on roads), while the correct answer was B (Costs less than using other forms of transport). Teachers should put more emphasis on Pipeline as a mode of transport.
- The general performance of the paper was good, most items behaved well in performance. Only five items were scored above 85% and five items were scored below 40%.
- There was an improvement in performance (mean 37.32) as compared to 2011 (mean 33.13) despite the increase in candidature.
- Teachers should keep up the good work and encourage the candidates to read questions carefully to avoid getting mixed up.
- Teachers should discourage rote learning, only questions that required a higher level of cognitive skills were performed poorly.
KCPE PAST PAPERS
QUESTION ON TOPIC: MATHEMATICS