social studies kcpe 2005 questions & answers
1. The general direction of the murram pit from the Chiefs Camp is ___________
2. The length of the tarmac road from the junction at Ama town t the tea factory is approximately
3. Which one of the following factors makes the North Eastern part of Am Area suitable for tea growing?
4. Which one of the following Local Authorities administers Ama Area?
5. The main source of water for the residents of Ama town is ________
6. Three of the following are economic activities practiced in Ama Area. Which one is not?
7. A person has set fire to the Rest House in Ama town. The most appropriate action that the owner should take is to report the incident to
8. Which one of the following groups represents a single parent family?
9. Which one of the following is the main reason why the Somali migrated into Kenya during the pre-colonial period? .
10.Traditional healers wore special charms in order to ______
11. Which one of the following group of industries consists of service industries?
12 Which one of the following occasions brought people of different ages together in most African communities during pre-colonial period?
13: The main problem that has contributed to the decline in coffee production in Kenya is
14. The diagram below represents an instrument that is used to measure an element of weather
Which one of the following elements of weather is measured using the instrument shown in the diagram?
16. The government encourages the development of Jua Kali industries in Kenya mainly to
17. In which one of the following areas in Kenya are mangrove forests found?
18. Which one of the following statements correctly describes the climate of the station?
19. Which one of the following activities of the European colonial rulers had a good effect on Africans?
20. Which one of the following statements is true of age groups among African communities in Kenya?
21. Which one of the following Kenyan communities is correctly matched with its place of origin? Community Place of origin
22. Who among the following traditional African leaders fought against the establishment of British Colonial rule in Kenya?
23. Which one of the following countries in Africa was colonised by the French?
24. Below are factors that influenced the origin of a town in Kenya
25.The Almoravids attacked the Kingdom of Old Ghana in order to .
Use the map of Africa below to answer questions 26 to 29
26. The position of Khartoum is ______
27. Which one of the following types of climate is experienced in the area marked P?
28.The river marked Q Is _____
29.The traditional kingdom that existed in the area marked R was founded by ______
30. The best way of reducing road accidents in Kenya is by ____
31. The African communities that resisted European colonization were defeated mainly because ______
32. The horticultural crops that are grown in Kenya mainly for export are _______
33. Which one of the following was a function of the Kabaka of Buganda during the pre-colonial period?
34. Which of the following is a reason why the Maasai collaborated with the British during the establishment of colonial rule?
A. They wanted to strengthen their trade links with the British.
B. They wanted to get employment in the settler farms. .
C. They wanted the support of the British against their enemies.
D. They wanted to get modern education.
35. Which one of the following statements is true about the population of both Kenya and India?
A. It LS mainly made up of old people.
B, The rate of population increase is low.
C. Most people live in town.
D. It is mainly made up of young people.
36. The cheapest method of preserving fish is by
C. sun drying
D. deep frying
37. Which one of the following was a way of treating the sick in the traditional African societies?
A. Drinking porridge
B. Eating moat.
C. Performing physical exercises.
D. Using herbs. .
38. Which one of the following statements is true about farming in Kenya during the pre-colonial period?
A. Fertilizer was used in the growing of crops.
B. Most of crops were grown for sale
C. Communities practiced shifting cultivation
D. Most communities grew crops through irrigation.
39. Which one of the following would be the best way of controlling rural-urban migration in Kenya?
A. Encouraging setting up of industries in the rural areas.
B. Advising the unemployed people to stay in the rural areas.
C. Providing free food to people in the rural areas.
D. Providing tree primary education in the rural areas.
40. The highland areas of Kenya have high population density because ___________
A. there is enough pasture for livestock
B. there is enough space for settlement
C. the climate is warm
D. the soils are fertile
41. Which one of ‘he following was an effect of the Second World War on African Nationalism in Kenya?
A. It made the Africans stop working in the Europeans farms
B. It increased the African& desire for independence
C. It led to the Africans being nominated to the Legislative Council
D. It reduced the African's dislike for the Europeans
42. Which one of the following statements is true about trees in the planted forests in Kenya?
A. The trees have thorns.
B. Most of the trees have climbers.
C. Most of the trees mature fast.
D. The trees are of different types.
43. The United Nations Organisation was formed in 1945 mainly to .
A. promote democracy ¡n the world
B. promote economic cooperation among nations
C. promote Human Rights in all the countries
D. promote peace in the world
44. The political party which led Ghana to independence in 1 957 was .
A. the Nation& Liberation Movement (NIM)
B. the Convention People’s Party (CPPI
C. the Northern Peoples’ Party (NPP)
D. the United Gold Coast Convention (UGCC)
45. Below are statements about the achievement of an African head of state;
46. Three of the following statements are true about the Commonwealth. Which one is not?
47. The main benefit of tourism to Kenya Is that It ____
48. Which one of the following is a reason why maize is widely grown in Kenya and Tanzania?
50. Below are statements about a mineral in Kenya.
51.ln Kenya, 12th December 1964 is remembered as the day when the country became
52. Which one of the following African countries is correctly matched with its first president?
53. In Kenya. laws are made by ______
54. One parliamentary duty of the president of Kenya is to ______
55. Which one of the following countries is a member of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)?
56. Policemen on patrol rescue suspected thieves from mob justice in order to ____
57. The main source of revenue for the Government of Kenya is ______
58. Three of the following are national philosophies in Kenya. Which one is not?
69. Nomination of members of parliament in Kenya is done by _______
60. Which one of the following courts in Kenya is the lowest?