Standard 8 (std) English Topical Questions
Read the passage below. It contains blank spaces numbered 1- 15. For each blank space, choose the best alternative from the choices given.
When some people shower us with praise, we feel very flattered, _1_ we? In our delights we forget that_ 2_ people may have bad intentions _3_ us. Take the story of the crow _4_ the fox, for example. The hardworking crow had managed to snatch a piece of roast meat from the butcher’s. Up she _5_ with it into the branches of a tall tree. Intending to enjoy her _6_.
The fox had been watching all this with a watering mouth for he really wanted the _7_ piece for himself. He therefore planned his approach very _8_“Oh crow,” He said, “your eyes shine _9_ than all the stars. And your neck is _10_ beautifully long. Your wings, my friend, _11_ be more graceful!” The fox continued. “But alas! How unfortunate _12_ you were born dumb. I am sure yours would have been a melodious _13_. The crow was pleased with the flattery. However she was annoyed that the fox thought she could not sing. She therefore wanted to _14_ the fox. She opened her mouth to sing and the meat dropped right _15_ the waiting mouth of the fox.
1. A. do B. don’t C. are D. aren’t
2. A. some B. many C. most D. such
3. A. towards B. to C. against D. for
4. A. or B. against C. and D. with
5. A. flies B. fly C. flown D. flew
6. A. reward B. prize C. award D. price
7. A. nice B. good C. juicy D. sweet
8. A. carefully B. quickly C. seriously D. quietly
9. A. better B. brighter C. best D. brightest
10. A. so B. very C. quite D. rather
11. A. shouldn’t B. wouldn’t C. mustn’t D. couldn’t’
12. A. as B. since C. that D. for
13. A. tune B. sound C. voice D. song
14. A. surprise B. shock C. astonish D. amaze
15. A. in B. into C. to D. down
Click here Learn how to be a member in order to get answers.
If you still are a member, click here to download answers.
Maurice A. Nyamoti is a teacher by profession and has passion for assisting students improve performance
P.O Box 1189 - 40200 Kisii
Tel: 0728 450 424
Tel: 0738 619 279
Tel: 0763 450 425
E-mail - email@example.com