Standard 8 (std) English Topical Questions
Read the passage below, it contains blank spaces numbered 1 to 15. For each blank space, choose the best alternative from the choices given.
I was sitting on a beach one day, __1__ two children, a boy and a girl, playing __2__the sand. They were hard at work, building__3__beautiful sand castle by the water’s __4__. It had gates and towers and internal passages. __5__ when they had nearly finished their __6__ a big wave came along and knocked it down, reducing it to a heap of__7__ sand. I expected the children to burst into tears, disappointed by what had happened__8__, they ran up the shore away from the water, laughing while __9__hands and sat down to build another castle. I realised that they had taught me __10__ lesson. All the things in our lives, all the complicated structures we __11__ so much time and energy creating are built on sand. Only our __12__with other people endure. Sooner or later, the wave __13__come along and knock down what we __14__so hard to build up. __15__that happens, only the person who has somebody’s hand to hold will be able to laugh.
1. A. seeing B. viewing C. watching D. inspecting
2. A. on B. over C. in D. about
3. A. a B. the C. some D. that
4. A. boundary B. line C. end D. edge
5. A. Suddenly B. Just C. immediately D. Now
6. A. project B. task C. duty D. scheme
7. A. watery B. wet C. sticky D. muddy
8. A. Then B. Yet C. Moreover D. Instead
9. A. joining B. holding C. uniting D. touching
10. A. a serious B. a necessary C. an important D. an interesting
11. A. give B. have C. spend D. use
12. A. relationships B. contacts C. unity D. harmony
13. A. must B. may C. shall D. will
14. A. had worked B. have worked C. had been working D. have been working
15. A. If B. Since C. Whenever D. When
Click here Learn how to be a member in order to get answers.
If you still are a member, click here to download answers.
Maurice A. Nyamoti is a teacher by profession and has passion for assisting students improve performance
P.O Box 1189 - 40200
Tel: 0728 450 424
Tel: 0738 619 279
Tel: 0763 450 425
E-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org