ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTERS
Computers have many advantages over other types of office and business equipment that are used for data processing functions. Some of the advantages are:
1) Computers process data faster:
The processing speed of a computer when measured against other devices like typewriters & calculators is far much higher.
2) Computers are more accurate & reliable:
Computers produce more accurate results as long as the correct instructions & data are entered. They also have the ability to handle numbers with many decimal places.
3) Computers are more efficient:
A computer requires less effort to process data as compared to human beings or other machines.
4) Computers can quickly and effectively store & retrieve large amounts of data.
computers have the capacity to hold, retrieve and process large volumes of data when compared to other devices and humans. their memory is also expandable and faster to retrieve.
5) They are very economical when saving information, for it can conserve a lot of space.
computers makes it cheaper to save information per area required to save same information as compared to manual systems such as file cabinets. A small chip can save lots and lots of information thus saving on the cost to acquire more space.
6) Computers occupy very little office space.
computers are not bulky. they can fit in a small office, a desk, lap or palm. This attribute makes it easier and convenient while working with them
7) Computers help to reduce paper work significantly.
computers don't require paper work to manipulate and display information.
8) Computers are flexible:
A computer can perform a variety of jobs as long as there is a well-defined procedure.
9) Computers are cheap:
They can be used to perform a number of organizational functions/ activities, which are meant for individual persons, hence reducing the number of employees & the costs.
10) Computers enhance security & confidentiality:
Data stored in a computer can be protected from unauthorized individuals.
11) Have made communication easier.
calls, e-mailing, e-conferencing, chats and others are as a result of computers. These resources have made communication easier and faster.
12) Computers produce better information:
Computer output is usually tidy and error-free (accurate).
13) Computers reduce the problems of data or information duplication:
data duplication are now things of the past. Computers have special software packages such as DBMS- Database Management Systems that ensures the integrity, validity and correctness of data.
14) Computers can operate in risky environments,
e.g. volcanic sites, dangerous chemical plants, where human life is threatened:
DISADVANTAGES OF USING COMPUTERS.
1) Computers are very costly in terms of purchase & maintenance.
computers are expensive to acquire and maintain when compared to other processing devices
2) Computers can only be used areas where there is source of power.
This is because microcomputers such as laptops and palmtops have inbuilt batteries that power them in the absence of power. These batteries automatically charge when power is connected to the computer and act as a backup in its absence.
3) Requires skilled manpower to operate, i.e., one has to have some knowledge so as to operate a computer.
This is very true. An illiterate person may not be able to operate a computer this is because computers require special skill in order to use them and these skills can be acquired in computer schools and other areas where computers are taught.
4) The records are usually kept in a form that is not visible or human-readable.
Computer process, store and transmit information in a language that humans cannot be able understand. Thanks to binary and assembly languages. The use of machine language to program computers makes programming complicated and expensive. Data in these forms are difficult to understand and manipulate.
5) A computer, like any other machine can break down.
Just like other tools and machines, Computers can breakdown, wear and tear. They can also be destroyed easily by dust, liquids, power surge and magnetic fields.
6) Information stored in computers can easily get lost due to power interruptions or machine breakdown.
The information stored in computers can easily be lost if there are no measures to protect it such as creation of backups, installing anti-malware programs and ensuring that only regulated power enters into the computer.
7) A computer doesn’t have its own intelligence, i.e., it cannot do any useful job on its own, but can only work as per the set of instructions issued.
Computer's intelligence is limited to the instructions its is issued with. It cannot create its own intelligence to work with; however modern computers with the help of artificial intelligence can be able to learn human -like features with lots of data at place and be able to adjust and create its own intelligence systems.
8) Installation of computers causes retraining or retrenchment of staff/ employees.
Computer cause job loses, job displacement and replacement at work places this is because to do some jobs that humans can do or can't do, and they do better than humans and can't complain, they don't require salaries neither do they pay taxes. Employers prefer computers to humans in order to maximize profits.
9) The computer technology is changing very fast such that the already bought computers could be made obsolete/ out dated in the next few years.
The technology used to manufacture and run computers, hardware and software resources respectively change with times and change very fast. This calls for replacement of machines in order to enhance efficiency.
These changes leads to extra costs, training and adaptability that leads to temporary instability in work places.
In addition, this rapid change in the computer technology makes computers & related facilities to become outdated very fast, hence posing a risk of capital loss.
10) Computers have led to increase in insecurity such as computer crimes especially in Banks, terrorism, social sites etc.
The computer criminals steal large amounts of funds belonging to various companies by transferring them out of their company accounts illegally. In addition, they destroy vital data used in running the companies or siphon information from firms for sale.
Use of computers to share and source information can also be a disaster especially for people who can use that information to destroy the world. Information such as 'how to acquire guns', 'how to make bombs' 'how to kill or commit suicide are not worthwhile sharing. But this information is now readily available in computers.