Describe each of the following computer cables: Parallel cable and Serial cable;
Description of computer cables
a) Parallel cable
A) Explain three features of a graphical user interface as used in computers. (6 marks)
B) State the function of each of the following computer keyboard keys:
(i) Caps Lock (1 mark)
(ii) Shift (1 mark)
(iii) Home (1 mark)
(i) Function of Caps lock
- It’s a toggle key when ON, the characters typed are in uppercase when OFF, the characters typed are in lower case.
(ii) Shift key
- Used to enable uppercase letter to be printed when alphanumeric keys are pressed.
- Used with other keys to modify behavior/function key.
(iii) Home key
- Used to take the cursor to the beginning of the line in a word processor.
- Evidence of movement of the cursor.
C) Using two complement notation, determine the value of the operation 2510 — 2910 (6 marks)
Give two differences between a Graphical User Interface (GUI) and a Commandline Interface.
Computer network technicians prefer to use command line based operating system when configuring networks. State three reasons for the preference
Computer network technicians prefer to use command line based operating system when configuring networks. State three reasons for the preference. (3 marks)
Reasons for the use of command — line interface OS