DEFINITION OF PROPHETS
The five categories of prophets
Describe ways in which prophetic messages were written
Relationship between the old testaments prophets and the New Testaments
Similarities between the traditional African and Old Testament prophets
Differences between Old Testament and traditional African prophets
The relevance of the Old Testament and the traditional African prophets to Christians today
[KCSE 2015 CRE PAPER 1 QUESTION 4A.]
The importance of David as an ancestor of Jesus Christ
Promises God made to David through Prophet Nathan
In 2 Sam 7:9 – 16 is a summary of the divine promises made to David by God. These are as follows;
- God promised to Keep David and his descendants safe from all enemies.
- God would give David’s descendants a place to settle/their own land.
- God promised to raise up an heir from the house of David to sit on the throne.
- He promised to let David’s son be the one to build a temple for him. God’s relationship with this king would be like that of a father to his son.
- God promised to establish an everlasting kingdom for David and his descendant rule forever.
- God promised to make David’s name greater or famous among all other leaders of the earth.
- God would protect David’s descendants from oppression and make them live in peace.
- God would bury David with ancestors.
- God would punish David’s son when he did wrong.
- God would always support David’s heirs.
- The Messiah would come from David’s lineage.
- God would protect David from his enemies.
The immediate fulfillment of these promises was seen in the reign of King Solomon, David’s son and successor.
- Solomon did build the Temple of God (1 Kings 6:1)
- Solomon’s reign was marked by a period of peace and prosperity since David had subdued all the enemies of Israel.
David as an ancestor of Jesus Christ
- Jesus was born in the family of David.
- Joseph was a descendant of David Luke 1:26
- Angel Gabriel in his annunciation message to Mary says that Jesus will be like his ancestor David Luke 1:32 – 33.
- Zechariah in his Benedictus says that God has raised up a savior descended from the house of David Luke 1:69.
- Jesus was born in Bethlehem which was also the birth place of David. Luke 2:4.
- The blind man at Jericho hailed Jesus as the son of David and looked to him to restore his sight Luke 18:38.
- Jesus was hailed by the crowd as the Messiah descended from David during his triumphal entry into Jerusalem (Math 21:9).
- God promised David that he would have an everlasting kingdom and Jesus established the Kingdom which does not have geographical boundaries/an everlasting kingdom.
- The early apostles like Peter and Paul made a number of references to Jesus as a descendant of David. Acts 2:29 – 35, 13:23.
Questions on topic
Explain the significance of David as an ancestor of Jesus to Christians today.
- The promises that God made to King David pointed to the mission of Jesus in the world to save sinners.
- Through Jesus a descendant of David, Christians are blessed/protected/have peace.
- Through David, Jesus came to establish a spiritual kingdom/the church.
- David recognized the divinity of Jesus as Lord/Saviour who Christians also recognize as Lord/saviour.
- David as an ancestor of Jesus established proper worship of God in Israel which has been emulated by Christians.
- David the ancestor of Jesus made preparations to build a temple for God which has been realized in the modern day places of worship built by Christians.
- Through David Christians have been promised a place to settle in heaven.
Identify seven ways in which David demonstrated faith in God. (7 marks)
- He brought back the ark of the covenant to Jerusalem.
- He made Jerusalem a religious centre
- He composed hymns
- He showed respect to God’s prophets
- He wanted to build a house for God.
- He represented when he sinned.
- He constantly sought God’s guidance.
- He humbled himself before God and submitted to the will of God.
- He praised and danced for God.
- Give seven reasons why David’s successors failed to lead Israel towards the covenant way of life.
- State seven promises of God to David through prophet Nathan. (7 mks)
- Outline six of God’s promises to David to Christians today. (6 mks)
Outline six promises that God gave David.
- - God promised him and his descendants protection.
- - God promised his descendants land.
- - One of his sons would build the temple for God.
- - God would raise up a heir for His throne.
- - God would establish an everlasting kingdom for him.
- - God would make David’s name famous.
- God’s relationship with David’s son would be that of a Father to his son.
Explain seven ways how King David is an ancestor of Jesus Christ
- Saint Paul asserted that the good news of salvation is about the Son of God who took human nature and was born from David’s lineage.
- The Gospels say that Jesus was born in the family of David as the Virgin Mary was betrothed to Joseph of the house of David.
- In Matthew’s genealogy, Jesus was a descendant of King David.
- In his annunciation message to Mary, the angel says that Jesus will be a king like his ancestor David.
- Zechariah says that God has raised up a savior descended from the house of David.
- Jesus was born in Bethlehem which was also the birth place of David.
- The blind man at Jericho hailed Jesus as the Son of David.
- In his triumphant entry to Jerusalem, Jesus was hailed by the crowd as the Messiah descended from David.
- The early apostles like Peter made a number of references to Jesus as a descendant of David in their sermons.
- State seven qualities of a good leader that modern leaders can learn from King David
Importance of covenants in modern life
- Through baptism, Christians are encouraged to have the right relationship with God and be able to work for the good of the society.
- Through Baptism one is able to acquire Christian principles/rules with inspires one to live a virtuous life. This helps one to fight against evils e.g. sexual immorality, drug abuse, and corruption.
- It makes people to be committed to their work.
- Makes people to have confidence in their leaders.
- Helps to create a peaceful environment.
- Brings unity between individuals and communities that were separated before.
- Strengthens one’s faith in God.
- Enlightens citizens on their rights.
Traditional African Practices And Biblical Teaching on Law, Order and Justice, that Promote Law, Order, Justice
TRADITIONAL AFRICAN PRACTICES THAT PROMOTE LAW, ORDER, JUSTICE
a) Punishment of offenders
b) Installation of rules, kings, chiefs, elders
c) Administration of oaths
d) Making of covenants
e) Observing of taboos and customary law
f) The kinship system
g) Rites of passage
h) Religious practices
Biblical Teaching on Law, Order and Justice
How God initiated Law, order, and justice
- God’s creation is orderly. God desires order
- Man was created with a conscience to know right from wrong sin has consequences or punishment. God does punish disobedience i.e. justice
- God instituted the laws as part of his plan for salvation e.g. law of circumcision, Torah (10 commandments), circumcision of the heart, laws on what to eat etc
- God’s law governed kingship in Israel. National prosperity depended on a king’s ruler ship. Kings were to ensure law and order
- In the New Testament John the Baptist urged people to observe the law (social justice)
- Jesus taught that the kingdom of God is based on law, order and justice. There should be fair treatment for all people
- Jesus said that the law of Moses was given to guide people
- Christians should obey the law of the land and respect those in authority
- The apostolic teachings stress the need for law, order, justice (1 Cor 14: 33)
- Christians should be orderly
- The birth of Jesus was orderly. His ministry was also orderly hence should Christians.
REASONS WHY CHRISTIANS USE THE BIBLE IN WORSHIP
- It is the word of God.
- It makes them identify with God/Jesus as well as enhancing their unity.
- To recite prayers from it e.g. the Lord’s Prayer.
- It has guidelines and rituals e.g. the Lord’s Supper and marriage.
- It is a source of belief about God/Jesus/Holy Spirit and the church.
- It outlines church leadership, e.g. roles of pastors, evangelists and deacons.
- It is a source of Christian customs, e.g. giving of offerings, dedication of children and celebration of Eucharist.
- It is a source of miracles/ healing and other blessings.
- To strengthen their faith and hope in God.
AFRICAN MORAL AND CULTURAL VALUES
Blessings And Woes. 6:20 – 26
Bribery And Corruption
Causes Of Social Disorders And Their Remedies
Celibacy As An Alternative To Marriage
Christian Approaches / Response To Issues Related To Wealth And Money
Christian Approaches To Human Sexuality
Christian Approaches To Law
Christian Approaches To Selected Issues Related To Modern Science
Christian Approaches Towards Strikes
Christian Approaches To Wealth
Christian Approaches To Work
Christian Attitude Towards Bribery And Corruption
Christian Criteria For Evaluating The Use Of Leisure
Christians Approaches To Issues Related To Employment
Christians Approaches To Leisure
Christian’s Approaches To Problems Related To Family Life Today
Christians Approaches To Wealth
Christian Teaching About Divorce
Christian Teaching About Marriage
Christian Teaching On Leisure
Christian Teaching On Poverty
Christian Teaching On Work
Christian Understanding Of The Family
Christian Values Learnt From The Call Of Moses
COMMON RITUALS PERFORMED DURING INITIATION
Comparison Between The Two Accounts Of Creation:
CONTINUITY AND CHANGE IN THE AFRICAN UNDERSTANDING OF VARIOUS ISSUES
Courtship In African Traditional Society (A.T.S)
CREATION AND THE FALL OF MAN
C.R.E FORM 2 NOTES
CRE NOTES FORM 2
C.R.E QUESTIONS ON ENVIRONMENT
C.R.E REVIEW QUESTIONS
CRE REVIEW QUESTIONS 1
CRE REVIEW QUESTIONS 1 - Page 2
CRE REVIEW QUESTIONS 1 - Page 3
CRE REVIEW QUESTIONS 1 - Page 4
CRE REVIEW QUESTIONS 1 - Page 5
DEATH AND RESURRECTION
DEATH RITES IN AFRICAN TRADITIONAL SOCIETY (A.T.S)
Definition Of Marriage
Duties To God
Duties Towards Man
Effects Of Worshipping The Idol / Bull
Elements Of Covenant
Elements Of Jewish Circumcision
Elements Of The Jewish Worship Found In The Christian Worship Today
Ethics And Codes In The Society
Factors That Have Undermined The Status Of Elders In African Communities Today
Factors Which Lead People Away From The Worship Of God Today
Faith And God’s Promises: Abraham
Faith And God’s Promises: Abraham
Forms Of Corruption In The Society
Forms Of Marriages
God’s Covenant With Abraham
GOD’S PLAN OF SALVATION OF MANKIND
Hearing And Doing. (6:46 – 49)
How Christians Show Respect To God
How The Church Helps To Bring Back Members Who Have Fallen From Faith
How The Feeding Of The 5
Importance Of Circumcision To Abraham And His Descendants
Importance Of Dowry
Importance Of Faith In Christian Life Today
Importance Of The Covenant
Important Use And Misuse Of Leisure
INTRODUCTION TO CHRISTIAN ETHICS
JESUS FEEDS THE FIVE THOUSAND
Judging Others. (6:37 – 42)
KING DAVID’S IMPORTANCE
KINGSHIP IN ISRAEL
King Solomon’s Failures
Leadership In Israel (David And Solomon)
LEADERSHIP IN ISRAEL: DAVID AND SOLOMON
Lessons Christians Learn From King Solomon’s Reign
Lessons Christians Learn From The Call Of Abraham
Lessons Christians Learn From The Story
Lessons Learnt About Jesus From The Feeding Of The 5
Lessons Learnt About The Nature Of God From The Contest At Mt. Carmel
Love Of Enemies. (6:27 – 36)
LOYALTY TO GOD: ELIJAH
LOYALTY TO GOD – PROPHET ELIJAH
MAJOR DIVISIONS OF THE BIBLE
Marriage And Family
MEANING OF CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
Meaning Of The Term Covenant
Methods Used To Solve The Problem Of Childlessness In T.A.C [Traditional African Communities]
Money And Poverty
Moral Duties And Responsibilities Of Employers And Employees
Moral Duties Of The Employees
Old Testament Prophesies About The Messiah
Order And Justice
Order & Justice
People Prepared The Disciples For Their Future Work
Political Life Of The Society
Problems Encountered By Christians In Their Commitment To Christ Today
QUALITIES OF A GOOD LEADER DRAWN FROM DAVID’S LEADERSHIP
Qualities Of Prophet Elijah That A Christian Leader Should Posses
Reasons As To Why Man Is Considered The Most Special Creation Of God
Reasons Why Christians Should Ask For Forgiveness From God
REASONS WHY ELIJAH FACED DANGER AND HOSTILITY AS A PROPHET OF GOD
Reasons Why Moses Was Reluctant To Accept God’s Call
Relationship Between Human Beings And The Environment From The Creation Stories
Remedies To Drug Abuse
Responsibilities Given To Human Beings At Creation
Responsibilities Given To Human Beings At Creation
Responsibilities Of Women In The Church Today
RESPONSIBILITY OF THE LIVING TOWARDS GOD
Rights Of The Employees
Rights Of The Employer
RITES OF PASSAGE
Role Of Christians In Transforming The Social
Roles Of Professional Ethos
Selected Aspects In African Religious Heritage: African Concept Of God
SIGNIFICANCE OF INITIATION RITES
Similarities And Differences Between Traditional African View Of Evil And Biblical Concept Of Sin
Similarities Between The Traditional African Myths And The Biblical Accounts Of Creation
SINAI COVENANT: MOSES
Spirits And Ancestors
Steps In The Formation/ Sealing Of The Covenant
Summary Of The Ways In Which God Took Care Of The Israelites During The Exodus
Summary Of The Ways Israelites Worshipped God In The Wilderness
Teachings About Marriage From The Biblical Stories Of Creation GEN. 1:26-29; 2:18-2
Teachings From The Biblical Creation Accounts
Technology And Environment
THE AFRICAN UNDERSTANDING OF THE HIERARCHY OF BEINGS
THE BREAKING OF THE SINAI COVENANT
The Call Of Abraham (Gen. 12:1-9)
The Christian View On The Effects Of Modern Science And Technology On The Environment (Pollution
THE GALILEAN MINISTRY
THE GALILEAN MINISTRY
THE GALILEAN MINISTRY
THE GALILEE MINISTRY
THE IMPORTANCE OF THE TEMPLE IN ISRAEL
THE INFANCY AND EARLY LIFE OF JESUS
THE JERUSALEM MINISTRY
THE JOURNEY TO JERUSALEM
The Kind Of Messiah The Jews Expected
The Meaning Of Biblical Accounts Of Creation
THE PERSON OF JESUS AND HIS DESTINY - Luke 9:18 – 27
The Raising Of Jairus’ Daughter.
The Reasons For Singing And Dancing During Initiation Ceremonies In Traditional African Communities
THE ROLE OF RELIGIOUS SPECIALISTS IN AFRICAN COMMUNITIES AND THEIR RELEVANCE TODAY
THE ROLES OF GOD
The Teachings About Human Beings From The Biblical Creation Accounts
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
THE TEN PLAGUES
THE UNITY OF BELIEVERS
THE WORSHIP OF THE ISRAELITES IN THE WILDERNESS
Traditional African Approaches To Problems Related To Family Life Today
Traditional African Attitude Towards Work
TRADITIONAL AFRICAN CONCEPT OF EVIL
Traditional African Family Values And Practices
Traditional African Understanding Of Leisure
Traditional African Understanding Of Wealth And Poverty
TRADITIONAL AFRICAN VIEW OF CREATION
TRADITIONAL AFRICAN WAYS OF WORSHIPING GOD
Unemployment And Self-Employment
VENERATING AND COMMUNICATING WITH SPIRITS AND ANCESTORS
Versions Of The Bible Used In Kenya Today
Virtues Christians Learn From The Miracle Of The Feeding Of The 5
Virtues Related To Work
Wages And Industrial Action (Strikes)
Ways In Which Christians Continue With God’s Work Of Creation
Ways In Which Christians Use The Bible To Spread The Gospel
Ways In Which Initiation Rites Have Changed Today
Ways In Which The Church Today Disciplines Errant Members
Ways Of Fighting Against Corruption In The Country Today
What Moses Learnt From This Incident/call About God