Genesis 15:1-19 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Importance of the covenant
- It marks God’s initiative to enter into a personal relationship with humankind which had been destroyed.
- It signified the reward of obeying and having faith in God.
- It confirms that God was willing to fulfill the promises He had made to Abraham.
- Through the covenant with Abraham, all nations of the world were to receive God’s salvation.
- It shows that God may elect an individual and use him/her for His purpose.
- By entering into a covenant with Abraham, God was confirming His choice of Abraham as the one to fulfill His plan of salvation.
Ways in which Christians express their faith in God today
- Praying to God.
- Giving offering and tithes.
- Reading the Bible/Bible study.
- Preaching the gospel.
- Singing Christian songs.
- Attending fellowships.
- Helping the needy.
- Leading holy life/obeying God’s laws.
- Repenting their sins.
- Partaking sacraments e.g. the Lord’s Supper, baptism e.t.c.
- Caring for God’s creation.
- Celebrating Christian festivals.
- 24 COMMON QUESTIONS ON FAITH AND GOD’S PROMISES (ABRAHAM) & MARKING SCHEMES
- FAITH AND GOD’S PROMISES: ABRAHAM
- WAYS IN WHICH GOD REWARDED ABRAHAM'S FAITH
- HOW THE CHURCH HELPS TO BRING BACK MEMBERS WHO HAVE FALLEN FROM FAITH
- FACTORS WHICH LEAD PEOPLE AWAY FROM THE WORSHIP OF GOD TODAY
- DISCUSS JESUS’ TEACHING ON THE POWER OF FAITH
- IDENTIFY FIVE TRADITIONAL AFRICAN PRACTICES WHICH DEMONSTRATES PEOPLE’S BELIEF IN GOD
- GIVE PROMISE THAT GOD MADE TO ABRAHAM
KCSE 2015 QUESTION 3(c) PAPER 1
- Through praying/fasting
- Through preaching/evangelism/winning souls to the kingdom of God
- By singing/dancing for God/composing songs/listening to christian songs
- By building worshipping places
- By giving tithes/offerings to God
- By helping the needy/acts of charity
- Through forgiving others/repenting their sins
- By respecting their church leaders/spiritual authority
- By having special attires/wearing a crucifix
- By leading righteous lives/obeying God’s commandments/role models
- By observing religious festivals/rituals/church functions
- By reading the bible/Christian literature
How do Christians in Kenya demonstrate their faith in God? (8 marks)
KCSE 2019 QUESTION 3(c) PAPER 2
Identify seven ways in which Christians demonstrate their faith in God
- Christians pray/pronounce blessings in the name of God.
- They give offering/tithe in church.
- They confess/repent their sins/forgive others.
- By building places of worship for God.
- They undergo baptism/partake of the Holy communion.
- By visiting places perceived to be holy/sacred.
- By obeying the teachings of Christ/commandments/reading the word of God.
- Caring for God’s creation/helping the needy.
- Composing/singing songs to God.
- Dedicating their lives/time to serve God in various positions/preaching gospel.
Characteristics of God’ covenant with Abraham
- It was unconditional
it had two unequal parties i.e. God and Abraham.
- It had promises which were given by God.
- It had an outward sign which was circumcision.
- It was sealed through the blood of the sacrifice.
- It was voluntary
Abraham entered it willingly.
- It was binding
it was to be kept even by Abraham’s descendants.
- It was initiated by God.
Explain the characteristics of a covenant. (5 marks)
- An agreement between two individuals/parties-
A covenant is an agreement between two parties /individuals who were separate before
the parties involved exchange vows /make promises to each other
There are both physical /spiritual witnesses during the making of a covenant
are the physical/outward mark to remind the parties of their obligations to each other
There are rituals performed to seal the covenant
Each party is expected to honour their part of the covenant/failure leads to consequences.
A binding rite
- A heifer
- A she – goat
- A ram
- A turtle dove
- A young pigeon
Elements of the Jewish worship found in the Christian worship today
These elements include:
- The Passover feast which found its origin from the Passover which marked the liberation of the Israelites from Egypt. This is referred to as the Lord’s Supper in the N. T and Christian worship.
- Use of prayer and songs in worship.
- Observing the Lord’s Day / Sabbath by modern Christians.
- Offerings are also given in form of money, goods and services tithes.
- Altars. Most Christian churches have altars also called sanctuary.
NB: The worship of God by the Israelites was more similar to that one of the Traditional African worship.
- Observing the Ten Commandments.
- Burning of incense e.g. catholic church.
- Spiritual leaders e.g. pastors, priests.
- Dedication of children to God.
Importance of circumcision to Abraham and his descendants
- It was an outward sign of Abraham’s and his descendants’ covenant relationship with God.
- It was an outward sign of a male Jew’s true belonging to the Jewish community.
- It was an outward sign of the inner faith for Abraham and his descendants that they were called to a life of obedience to God.
- It identified the Israelites as God’s chosen race.
- Through it, Abraham and his descendants were assured of inheriting God’s blessings.
- It confirmed that Abraham was obedient and faithful to God.
- It was a sign of continued love and protection from God which the Israelites were to enjoy.
- It signified purity/ cleanliness.
African Moral And Cultural Values
Christian Approaches To Human Sexuality Marriage
Christian Approaches To Law Order Justice
CHRISTIAN APPROACHES TO LEISURE
Christian Approaches To Selected Issues Related To Modern Science
Christian Approaches To Wealth
Christian Approaches To Work
Christians Approaches To Wealth
Christian Teaching On Leisure
Christian Teaching On Work
CREATION AND THE FALL OF MAN
C.R.E FORM 2 NOTES
CRE NOTES FORM 2
CRE PAPER 1
C.R.E QUESTIONS ON ENVIRONMENT
C.R.E REVIEW QUESTIONS
CRE REVIEW QUESTIONS 1
CRE REVIEW QUESTIONS 1 - Page 2
CRE REVIEW QUESTIONS 1 - Page 3
CRE REVIEW QUESTIONS 1 - Page 4
CRE REVIEW QUESTIONS 1 - Page 5
DEATH AND RESURRECTION
Faith And God’s Promises: Abraham
GOD’S PLAN OF SALVATION OF MANKIND
How Christians Show Respect To God
LEADERSHIP IN ISRAEL: DAVID AND SOLOMON
LOYALTY TO GOD: ELIJAH
LOYALTY TO GOD – PROPHET ELIJAH
Marriage And Family
MEANING OF CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
Money And Poverty
Nature Of God
Old Testament Prophesies About The Messiah
Order And Justice
QUALITIES OF A GOOD LEADER DRAWN FROM DAVID’S LEADERSHIP
Qualities Of Prophet Elijah That A Christian Leader Should Posses
Reasons As To Why Man Is Considered The Most Special Creation Of God
Reasons Why Moses Was Reluctant To Accept God’s Call
Relationship Between Human Beings And The Environment From The Creation Stories
Responsibilities Given To Human Beings At Creation
Responsibilities Given To Human Beings At Creation
RESPONSIBILITY OF THE LIVING TOWARDS GOD
RITES OF PASSAGE
Selected Aspects In African Religious Heritage: African Concept Of God
Selected Old Testament Prophets And Their Teachings
Similarities Between The Traditional African Myths And The Biblical Accounts Of Creation
SINAI COVENANT: MOSES
Spirits And Ancestors
Steps In The Formation/ Sealing Of The Covenant
Summary Of The Ways In Which God Took Care Of The Israelites During The Exodus
Summary Of The Ways Israelites Worshipped God In The Wilderness
Teachings From The Biblical Creation Accounts
Technology And Environment
The Call Of Abraham (Gen. 12:1-9)
THE GALILEAN MINISTRY
THE IMPORTANCE OF THE TEMPLE IN ISRAEL
THE INFANCY AND EARLY LIFE OF JESUS
THE JERUSALEM MINISTRY
THE JOURNEY TO JERUSALEM
THE UNITY OF BELIEVERS