KCPE PAST PAPERS 2010: HRE QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
SECTION B: ISLAMIC RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. Which one of the following attributes is mainly associated with Lord Buddha?
62. Hindus can best experience Paramatma as Anand by ______
63. which one of the following sense organs is associated with Akash?
64. In which avatar did Lord Vishnu save the human race from the floods?
65. Which one of the following ‘Four Passing Sights” seen by Prince Siddhartha signified liberation?
66. Which one of the following is the achievement of Guru Gobind Singh’?
67. Who among the following personalities tried to prevent the war between the Kaurava and the Pandava?
68. Hanuman travelled from India to Lanka in search of Sita by ___
69. Swami Dayan and Saraswati wrote Satyartha Prakash in order to ____
70. The Sanskar that prepares the youth for the Brahmacharya Ashram is ______
71. The principle of Dharma that helps an individual to achieve mental and spiritual peace is ____
72. When standard seven pupils visited a bakery, they were given a loaf of bread each. Maninder gave half of her loaf to the school watchman. She put into practice the principle of ___
73. The members of the Jam community in Kenya observe the principle of Aparigraha by ___
74. Which one of the following principles would best help a person overcome problems in life?
75. Which one of the following principles will help to promote peace and harmony in a community?
76. Which one of the following Chardham is correctly matched with the direction in which it is located?
77. The Sikh Akhand Path lasts for
78. Which one of the following symbols depicts the four levels of the human soul?
79. Which one of the following days of the Hindu week is dedicated to a star?
80. When Hindus provide medicine to the people infected with HIVAIDS, they practice
81. The Asana which is performed in a lotus position is _____
82. Who among the following personalities practiced Karma Yoga for the liberation of his ancestors?
83. The return of Lord Rama to Ayodhya after fourteen years in exile is celebrated during the festival of ___
84. Which one of the following rituals is not performed during the festival of Holi?
85. Hindus perform Raas and Garba during the Utsav of ____
86. Which one of the following activities in a school would best promote patriotism?
87. During the school holidays. Paresha and Amita engage themselves in the listed below. Which one of them is a social responsibility?
88. Hindus ring the bell upon entering the Mahamandap of a Mandir in order to ____
89. Who among the following religious leaders is not honoured in the Navakar Mantra?
90. The festival of Maha Shivratri is celebrated in the month of _____
kcpe past papers 2010: ire questions & answers
SECTION B: ISLAMIC RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. Which one of the following is a teaching from Surah Nasr?
62. Which one of the following Surahs teaches that man is at a loss except those who have faith and do righteous deeds?
63. Which one of the following verses from the Quran is found in Surah al-Kauthar?
64. In which of the following Surahs is man said to be ungrateful and in love with wealth?
65. The ldd-ul-adh-ha prayer is performed on ___
66. When Muslims try to do good and avoid evil, they practice
67. Which one of the following is not a sign of hypocrisy according to the Hadith of the prophet?
68. The Prophet said, “Worship Allah as if you see Him for if you don’t see Him, He sees you.” This Hadith is on
69. The angel who was a teacher to the Prophet (p.b.u.h) is
70. Which one of the following is not a pillar of Iman?
71. An act of wudhu which is sunnah is ____
72. On her way to school, Tasmeena is told that her brother, has been selected to join a national school. She should say:
73. The following are postures of Salat:
74. Muslims are forbidden to fast on
75. The main virtue demonstrated when Muslims pay Zakat is ___
76. An attribute of Allah that describes Him as the Lord of the universe is
77. Islam forbids riba in order to fight against ____
78. Three of the following are reasons why Zinaa is forbidden in Islam. Which one is not?
79. Omar, a class six pupil finds a gold necklace on the school playground. The right course of action for him to take is to _____
80. The best way to show concern for friends who are sick in hospital is by _________
81. The Night of Qadr occurs in the month of
82. According to the treaty of Hudaibiya, the peace between Muslims and the Makkans was to last for ______
83. Which one of the following statements is not true about Abubakar?
84. The first Muslim visitors to the coast of Kenya came as
85. Three of the following developments are attributed to the early Muslim visitors to the East African coast. Which one is not?
86. Who among the following personalities is a prophet?
87. The grand mosque in Makka is also known as ____
88. Aqiqa should he performed when the baby is ___
89. In which one of the following months is Isra-Wal-Miraj celebrated?
90. Which one of the following statements is true about Nabi Yusuf?
KCPE PAST PAPERS 2010: SOCIAL STUDIES QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
PART II RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
SECTION A: CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. which one of the following actions by Adam shows that he had power over the creation?
62. The main reason why God asked Noah to build the ark was to
63. The main virtue that the children of Israel were required to have when crossing the Red Sea was
64. Who among the following people is the father of faith?
65. When the Israelites went to receive the ten commandments, God’s presence was shown through
66. Who among the following Kings of Israel annoyed God when he took Uriah’s wife?
67. The main lesson Christians learn from the story of King Ahab and Naboth is that ___
68. When David was anointed by Prophet Samuel he was___
69. The prophet who was called by God when still young was
70. The main lesson Christians learn from the announcement of the births of John and Jesus is that they should ___
71. King Herod wanted to kill baby Jesus because ___
72. Which one of the following parables of Jesus teaches on the value of the Kingdom of God? The parable of the ___
73. The story of the rich man and Lazarus teaches Christians to be ___
74. Which one of the following miracles of Jesus was performed by Peter?
75. The main reason why the Jewish people opposed Jesus is because he ___
76. "Unless I see the scars of the nails in his hands and put my fingers on those scars and my hands on his side. I will not believe” (John 20:25)
These words were spoken by Thomas when Jesus ___
77. Which one of the following took place on the day of Pentecost?
78. Stephen met his death through being ___
79. Which one of the following events took place as Paul was on the way to Damascus?
80. Lydia welcomed the needy in her home. The fruit of the holy spirit which she showed is ___
81. Who among the following people were sent to take money to help the believers in Judea?
82. In some traditional African communities people reconciled with the ancestors through ___
83. The main reason why sex before marriage is discouraged in both Christianity and traditional African communities is because it ___
84. Which one of the following is the main role of grandparents in the bringing up of children in traditional African communities?
85. Your classmate Brian tells you he has been taking money from his parents without their permission. As a Christian
what action would you take? .
86. Your deskmate tells you to go Out of school so that you can visit a friend. As a Christian what would you do?
87. You have been asked by your church leader to plan for an activity for young people. What is the best leisure activity for them?
88. Your neighbour tells you she no longer goes to school because she has to do some work for her parents. As a
Christian. what is the best action for her to take?
89. Your friend Daniel is not willing to take up a job he has been offered after sitting for the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education examination because he lacks the needed skills. As a Christian what advice would you give him?
90. Which one of the following is the main reason why Christians are against drug abuse in Kenya? It leads to ___
KCPE PAST PAPERS 2010: SOCIAL STUDIES QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Study the map of Molu area and answer questions 1 to 7.
1. The land in Molu area slopes from _____
2. What is the approximate area of the irrigation scheme?
3. A trader at Tau market has ordered for maize flour from a wholesale shop in Molu town.
The appropriate means of transport to use to deliver the flour would be by ___
4. Three of the following economic activities are carried out in Molu area except
5. If the area under the Game Reserve was to be converted into a farm, which one of the following crops would be suitable to plant?
6. Which one of the following statements correctly describes the distribution of settlements in Molu area?
7. Three of the following social services are available in Molu Town. Which one is not?
8. The original homeland of the Bantu was _____
9. Which one of the following titles used in Buganda Kingdom during the pre-colonial period is correctly matched with its officer’?
10. Which one of the following statements is true about pastoral farming among the Fulani?
11. Below are duties of a school administrator.
12. June 1st is important in Kenya because it is the day ____
Use the diagram below to answer questions 13 and 14.
13. Which of the following characteristics are true about the winds marked X?
14. Which one of the following towns in Kenya experiences the effects of winds similar to the ones marked X?
15. The best way to stop drug abuse in schools is by _____
16. Which one of the following communities was ruled by a king during the pre-colonial period?
17. Below are statements about the achievements of a missionary who came to Eastern Africa in the 19th Century.
18. Which one of the following dams in Africa is correctly matched with the river on which it is located?
19. Different parts of the earth experience day and night at different times. This is caused by _____
20. In traditional African societies, the croaking of frogs was associated with _____
21. A foreigner qualifies to apply for Kenyan citizenship after living in the country continuously for ____
22. Zawadi is charged a fee everytime she goes to the open air market near her home to sell her farm produce. The money she pays goes to ____
23. The age-sex pyramid below represents the population of Kenya.
Which one of the following statements is true about the population of Kenya according lo the pyramid?
24. Samoei of the Nandi and Mekatilili of the Agiriama had one thing in common. It is that both ___
25. Which one of the following statements is true about the system of government of Swaziland?
26. The main reason why Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) was established was to ____
27. Which one of the following statements correctly describes a parliamentary bill?
28. Maria was stopped from joining a women’s group by her husband. Which one of the following freedoms was she denied? Freedom of ____
29. Which one of the following activities of European colonial rulers had positive effects on Africans?
30. The main economic activity carried out in the shaded area marked Q is ______
31. The pre-historic site marked R is ____
32. The language group that entered Kenya from the direction of the arrow marked S during the pre-colonial period was ________
33. Which two types of forests are found in the area marked T?
34. Which one of the following marriages is presided over by the District Commissioner?
35. Which one of the following explains why the people of Tanganyika were defeated by the Germans during the Maji Maji rebellion?
36. Which one of the following groups of communities is found in West Africa?
37. Which one of the following mountains in Africa was formed as a result of faulting?
A. Mt Kenya.
B. Mt Kilimanjaro.
C. The Atlas Mountains.
D. The Ruwenzori Mountains.
38. Three of the following skills were taught through apprenticeship in African traditional societies. Which one was not?
39. Countries in North Africa experience winter season during the months of ____
40. River Nile and River Niger have a common characteristic. It is that both rivers ____
41. The diagram below represents a road sign.
The road sign indicates that _____
42. Three of the following are actions which indicate that a person is a patriotic citizen. Which one is not?
43. Municipalities and County Councils are under the Ministry of ______
44. Tourism is important to Kenya mainly because it ______
45. Which one of the following minerals is correctly matched with the method used to mine it?
Mineral Mining method
46. Which one of the following groups of countries in Africa was colonized by the French?
47. Below arc statements about a political party that was formed in Kenya during the colonial period.
48. Three of the following are soil conservation measures.
Which one is not?
49. In traditional African societies, goods were transported using ____
50. In Kenya. forest areas are protected against destruction mainly because they ____
51. Which one of the following is a duty of the police force in Kenya?
52. Which one of the following groups of people represent single parent family?
53. Which one of the following was a function of clan elders in traditional African Communities?
54. In Kenya, a person becomes the speaker of the National Assembly through ____
55. Nzau, a primary school pupil assisted an elderly lady to cross a busy road. The behaviour by Nzau should be encouraged in the society because it
56. Three of the following statements are true about Kenya’s National Anthem. Which one is not?
57. Which one of the following is an economic right?
58. The Government of Kenya obtains revenue mainly through _____
59. The main problem facing road transport in Kenya is that ___
60. Three of the following are circumstances which may lead to a loss of parliamentary seat. Which one is not? When a member of parliament ___
KCPE PAST PAPERS 2010: SCIENCE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS [QNS 26-50]
Which one of the following groups of machines consists of inclined planes only?
The diagram below represents a set up that is used to demonstrate a certain process.
The process investigated is __________
Which one of the following is NOT a method of conserving energy? Using;
The diagram below represents a set up that is used to investigate a certain aspect of light.
The aspect investigated is ___________
Presence of blood in urine and faeces in human beings may be a sign of _______
Which one of the following pairs of birds have their beaks adapted to the same type of feeding?
Which one of the following methods of preserving food is both modern and traditional?
Which one of the following deficiency diseases is caused by lack of calcium in the diet?
Which one of the following statements is NOT TRUE about commercial feeds for animals?
A. They are given mainly for protection against diseases.
B. Some are given as the only feed.
C. They are given mainly to increase production.
D. Some are given together with other feeds.
Which one of the following pairs of components of the environment do all animals depend on directly?
Which one of the following foods is CORRECTLY matched to its group?
Food Food group
Which one of the following animal feeds provide a diet of proteins and carbohydrates?
The diagram below represents a person pushing a heavy log of wood along a flat surface.
Which one of the following changes would make the person push the log more easily?
The following are some liquids:
(iii) Fresh milk
(iv) cooking oil
Which two liquids will mix when put in a container?
Which one of the following groups consists of materials that are ALL magnetic?
Which one of the following practices pollutes soil, air and water?
If medicine remains after taking the prescribed dose, it is advisable to
A. keep and use it later
B. dispose off the medicine
C. continue taking until it is finished
D. give it to someone with the same sickness.
Which one of the following is most likely to cause damage to corrugated iron sheets on buildings’? Gases from
A. aerosol sprays
B. burning farm wastes
Which one of the following diseases CANNOT be prevented by maintaining proper hygiene?
The beginning of energy transformations in a radio that uses dry cells is
The diagram below represents a safety sign when dealing with electricity.
The sign means
The diagram below represents a set up used to investigate a certain aspect of light.
The aspect being investigated is
Which one of the following is a reason why a glass container is likely to break if hot water is poured into it?
On a see-saw a small boy can lift a big boy when
The following are steps followed investigating the force required to lift using a fixed pulley but not in their order:
(i) Tie the load with a string
(ii) Pass the string with the load through the pulley on the support
(iii) Pull the spring balance and measure
(iv) Fix the pulley on the support
(v) Tie the spring balance at the end of string.
The CORRECT order of steps to be followed is
KCPE 2010 SCIENCE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS [QNS 1-25]
Oxygenated blood Deoxygenated blood
(i) Small in size
(iii) Long feathery stigma
(iv) Produce fewer and large sticky pollen grains
Which one of the following pairs of characteristics is for a wind pollinated flower
Which one of the following materials when used to connect wires at position K would make the bulb light?
Germination occurred in ____________
In the diagram the layer of ash is represented by;
Which one of the following is a reason why the instrument could not work?
Component of air Use
Which one of the following statements is TRUE about the weather chart?
Whenever it was .
HIV/AIDS may be spread by
From the results the soil samples X, Y and Z are most likely to be