KCPE PAST PAPERS 2009: C.R.E QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
PART II: RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
SECTION A CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. From the Biblical stories of creation in Genesis 1 and 2, God created Adam, and Eve to
62. The main reason why Noah built an ark was to make him be able to
63. "Leave your country, your relatives and your father’s home and go to a land that I am going to show you.” (Genesis 12 : 1)
God spoke these words to
64. Which one of the following happenings took place during the night marking the start of the Exodus?
65. Which of the following commandments was broken by the Israelites when they worshipped the golden bull calf at Mount Sinai?
66. Who among the following people was anointed as the first King of Israel?
67. Jerusalem was considered a Jewish religious centre of worship because
68. Who among the following couples were the parents of Prophet Samuel?
69. But the Lord said to me, “Do not say that you are too young, but go to the people I send you to “ (Jeremiah 1 : 7)
The main lesson. Christians learn from this is that
70. Which one of the following happenings took place on the eighth day after Jesus was born?
71. From the incident when King Herod failed to kill baby Jesus, Christians learn that
72. Jesus was baptized in the river Jordan. The main lesson Christians learn from this is to
73. Which one of the following statements from the New Testament is a beatitude?
74. The parable of the widow and the judge teaches Christians to ________
75. The main lesson Christians learn from the miracle of the raising of Lazarus is to ______
76. The army officer who saw Jesus dying on the cross described him as a ______
77. The two disciples whom Jesus met after his resurrection were on their way to
78. Which of the following events took place on the day of Pentecost?
79. Who among the following people was chosen to replace Judas as an apostle of Christ?
80. “I see heaven opened and the Son of Man standing at the right side of God”. (Acts 7:56).
These words were spoken by Stephen when he was ___________-
81.What was Saul going to do in Damascus when he was blinded by a strong light? He was going to _______
82. Which one of the following types of worship is common in both Christianity and traditional African religion?
83. Three of the following activities in traditional African Communities show that there is life after death. Which one does not?
84. In Traditional African Communities children are told stories mainly to __________
85. Which one of the following practices would best show how a Christian can care for the environment?
86. Which one of the following ways shows the right use of wealth by Christians?
87. Which one of the following activities by Christian best shows how they can use their day of rest?
88. Which one of the following is a reason why a Christian should take part in group work? To _____
89. While waiting for the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education Examination results, Daniel is asked by an old lady for a hand in marriage.
As a Christian the best action to take is to ________________
90. After Agnes, a standard eight pupil, has bought a Kilogram of sugar, the shopkeeper refuses to live her the correct change. As a Christian the best action for her to take is to ___________
SOCIAL STUDIES KCPE PAST PAPERS 2009 QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Study the map of RAMALI area and answer questions 1 to 7.
1. The natural vegetation found around Kera market is ____
2. The approximate area of cotton farm is
3. River Ramali flows from
4. Which one of the following social services is provided at Pori market?
5. In which one of the following parts of Ramali area are most of the settlements found?
6. The main economic activity carried out in Ramali area is ______
7. The climate of Ramali area can be described as
8. In traditional African societies, the youth were taught moral laws mainly to
9. Which one of the following statements is true about traditional industries during the pre-colonial period?
10. The diagram below represents a physical feature. Use it to answer the question that follows: -
The feature marked X is
11. During the pre-colonial period, the Baganda were ruled by
12. Which one of the following methods of colonial administration was used by the British in Northern Nigeria?
13. in which of the following months is the sun overhead at the equator?
14. The following are functions that were performed by traditional leaders during the pre-colonial, period.
15. Which one of the following groups-of people belong to a nuclear family?
16. Which one of the following communities is CORRECTLY matched with the commodity they traded in during the pre-colonial period?
Community Items of trade
Use the map of Kenya below to answer Questions 17 to 20
17. Which one of the following language groups migrated into Kenya along the route marked H?
18. Which one of the following statements explains why the shaded area marked J is densely populated?
19. The country marked K is ____
20. Which one of the following statements is true about the river marked L?
21. The best way to ensure that the school is kept clean all the time is by
22. The following statements describe a prominent traditional Kenyan leader.
23. Which group of characteristics shown below describes the equatorial vegetation?
24. The main contribution of petroleum to the economy on Nigeria is that it has led to
25. Below are some ways used for predicting the coming of a rainy season.
26. Who among the following African leaders resisted the establishment of French Colonial rule?
27.Which one of the following countries is correctly matched with its capital city?
Country Capital city
28. Three of the following are problems experienced by farmers in Mwea — Tebere Irrigation Scheme. Which one is not?
29. Horticultural farming in Kenya is different from that in the Netherlands in that____
30. Aku, your classmate, has been performing poorly in class because she learnt that her parents are HIV positive. Which one of the following is the best action for you to take to help Aku?
31.The diagram below represents a method used to conserve soil.
The method represented in the diagram above Is
32. Game reserves have been established in Kenya mainly to
33. The following are some historical events that have taken place since independence.
34. The main reason why the United Nations (UN) was formed was to
35. Three of the following statements are true about the Tswana pastoralists. Which one is not?
36.Which one of the following was a result of settler farming in Kenya?
37. Which one of the following is NOT a function of the body in charge of elections in Kenya?
38: Which one of the following groups of countries formed the East-African Community in 1967?
39. Which one of the following cash crops is commonly grown in Zanzibar?
40. Three of the following are roles of political parties in a democracy. Which one is not?
41. Fresh flowers from Kenya are exported to Europe by air because air transport is
42. In Kenya, a national population census is carried out after a period of
43. A pupil has been told by the parents to help in fetching water for sale instead of attending school. The best action for the pupil to take is to ____
44. The Harambee movement in Kenya has led to ___
45. One of the problems affecting fishing in Lake Victoria is that _____
46. Which one of the following is the reason why Madaraka Day is celebrated in Kenya?
47. Which one of the following statements is true of both Julius Nyerere of Tanzania and Haile Selassie of Ethiopia?
48. Which one of the following tourist attractions in Africa is correctly matched with the country where it is found?
Tourist attraction Country
49. Which one of the following is a role of the school management committee in public primary schools in Kenya?
50. Which one of the following is a requirement for a person who wishes to be elected as a member of parliament in Kenya?
The person should be ____
51. Which one of the following places is the safest for pupils to cross the road?
52. Which one of the following groups of industries consists of service industries?
53. Which one of the following government officers is correctly matched with the right responsibility?
Government officer Responsibilities
54. In Kenya, civil marriages are conducted by
55. A foreigner living in Kenya may enjoy the following rights except.
56. ln Kenya, fluorspar is mined through
57. The best way through which protects can help he other pupils to become responsible citizens is by .
58. One of the functions of local authorities in Kenya is to _________________
59. Three of the following are ways through which national unity can be promoted ¡n Kenya.
Which one is not?
60. Which one of the following is a function of parliament in Kenya?
KCPE PAST PAPERS 2008: HRE QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
SECTION C HINDU RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. Which one of the following elements of Panch Mahahoot is invoked by the ringing of the bell during the performance of Aarti?
62. Shabari tasted the berries before giving them to Lord Rama. Rama took the berries and ate them. This action by Rama shows that Paramatma is ________
63. The main function of Lord Shiva is to ___
64. Which one of the following statements is not true about Lord Mahavir?
65. Which one of the following is the main reason why Lord Krishna supported the Pandav in the war of Kurukshetra?
66. Guru Teg Bahadur was given the title of Hind ki Chadar because he ___
67. In which one of the following scriptures are the brave actions of Hanuman described?
68. Which one of the following religious movements follows the teachings of Satyarth Prakash?
69. A similarity between Dhammapada and Mahabharata is that both
70. The Kenyan Constitution has given the freedom of worship to all its citizens. This has helped to create harmony among different religions. This is in keeping with the Jam principle of ____
71. Three of the following are reasons why Sikhs practise Naam Japna. Which one is not?
72. The Principle of Dharma that teaches boys and girls to abstain from sex until they get married is
73. Anita and Suhhash used to argue over which television channel to watch. Their mother advised them to watch the channels in turns. The mother taught them the importance of
74. Who among the following Goddesses sits on a lotus and carries one in her hand?
75. Which one of the following Kakars worn by the Sikhs signifies self control?
76. The Hindu sanskar which is administered to students in order to commence formal education is ___
77. During puja, Jams draw the symbol of Swastika on the floor using __________
78. Which one of the following prayers is sung during a Hindu Satsang?
79. Which one of the following utsav is celebrated on Vaisakhi Purnima?
80. Which one of the following events in Lord Mahavir’s life is celebrated during the festival of Diwali?
81. Which one of the following is a reason why Sikhs celebrate Vaisakhi?
82. The Utsav of Guru Purnima is celebrated to honour
83. Three of the following are qualities required of a student wishing to pursue Jnana Yoga. Which one is not?
84. Each Yoga session ends with the
85. Anjali, a standard eight pupil, has been telling Mita that she is unhappy with her parents because they refuse to allow her to go out and play with her friends. The best advice that Mita can give to Anjali is to ___
86. While playing cricket, Hritik accidentally broke a window pane of his neighbour's house. Hritik went and apologized to the neighbour. This act of Hritik shows that he is _____
87. According to Hindu belief, the existing universe will be dissolved by the end of
88. During which season do Jam Sadhu and Sadhavi remain indoors and meditate?
89. Who among the following Karmayogi worked for the improvement of the status of women?
90. Which one of the following national utsav is celebrated by Hindus in Kenya to honour those who fought for Kenya’s independence?
KCPE PAST PAPER 2008: IRE QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
SECTION B: ISLAMIC RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. Which one of the following verses is taken from Surah Quraish?
62. Which one of the following attributes of Allah is mentioned in Suratul Ikhlas?
63. Which one of the following Surahs condemns slanderers and backbiters
64. The main lesson that Muslims can learn from the Episode of the Elephant narrated in Surah Al-Fil is that
65. Which one of the following is a teaching from Surah AI-AIaq?
66. The name of the Kaaba which is not mentioned in the Qur’an is
67. Who among the following prophets was thrown into a burning fire?
68. According to the teaching of the Prophet (p.b.u.h), the unforgivable sin is
69. Which one of the following phrases is in both the Kalima and the Tashahu?
70. ‘Paradise ties under the feet of ……..“. Which one of the following words completes the quoted Hadith of the Prophet?
71. According to the teaching of the Prophet (p.b.u.h), Yarhamukallah should be said when a person
72. Who among the following categories of people is not a recipient of zakat?
73. On which ones of the following two s of the week should Muslims observe sunnah fast?
74. The following are rituals performed for a dead person:
75. The beginning of the Islamic Calendar is based on
76. Which one of the following rituals is common to both Hajj and Umrah?
77. Which one of the following acts of wudhu is not fardh?
78. Which one of the following is an example of sadaqa?
79. Which one of the following is the fundamental pillar of Iman?
80. The main reason why Muslims offer greetings before other utterances is because
81. Three of the following statements are true about what will happen on the Day of Judgment.
Which one is not?
82. When collecting information about the Angels of Allah, Amina a class six pupil. wrote the sentences listed below Which one of them is false?
83. Which one of the following statements is not true about eddat?
84. During Lailatul - Isra — wal — Miraj the Prophet (p.b.u.h) was commanded to
85. The most important activity during Milad — un — Nabi celebrations should be
86. Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) was buried in
87. The main lesson that Muslims learnt from the battle of Uhud was that
88. The first outsiders to visit the east coast of Africa were
89. Who among the following prophets is not Ulul Azm?
90. When going home after attending prayers at the mosque, your classmate Said tells you that he put on somebody else’s shoes by mistake.
The right advice that you would give him is to
KCPE PAST PAPERS 2008 FOR CRE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
PART II RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
SECTION A: CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. Which one of the following was a result of the disobedience of human beings in the garden of Eden?
They were to
62. God punished the people during the time of Noah by sending
63. The main lesson Christians learn from the call of Abraham by God is that they should be
64. During the Passover night, the Israelites were to eat bitter herbs to show
65. A problem faced by the Israelites during the exodus was lack of
66. Which one of the following qualities of leadership was mainly shown by David when he fought Goliath?
67. Which one of the following sins was committed by King Solomon? He
68. Which one of the following miracles was performed by both prophet Elijah and Elisha?
69. Jeremiah refused to accept the call to become a prophet of God because he felt he was
70. Which one of the following activities is correctly matched with the people who performed it during the early life of Jesus?
71. Joseph and Mary took baby Jesus to Egypt because
72. Which one of the following parables of Jesus encourages Christians to bring members back to church? The parable of the
73. “The son of man is the Lord of the Sabbath.’ (Luke 6:5).
Those words were spoken by Jesus when
74. The main lesson Christians learn from the healing of the man with demons is that Jesus
75. The main lesson Christians learn from the teaching of Jesus on wealth is that it should be
76. Which one of the following events took place when Jesus was at the garden of Gethsemane? Jesus was ____
77. A lesson Christians learn about Jesus from Cleopas and his friend on their way to Emmaus is that Jesus
78. On the day of Pentecost people spoke in many languages because they
79. Which one of the following statements is true about Ananias and Sapphira? They
80. During the time of the early church, the apostles were assisted to share money among the believers by
81. Which one of the following acts of worship was done by Paul and Silas when they were in prison? They
82. Which one of the following beliefs about God is found m both traditional African communities and in the Apostles’ Creed? God
83. Gifts are given to a couple during the wedding in both traditional African communities and Christianity mainly to
84. Who among the following people were not specialist in traditional African communities?
85. The best way a Christian can show respect for authority is by
86. Your desk-mate tells you that he has a fifty shilling note which he picked from his friend’s school bag.
As a Christian what advice would you give him? Tell him to ___
87. After assisting his mother with kitchen work, Tom realizes that he has some extra time. As a Christian the best way to spend it is by
88. Nancy, a standard six pupil, is lazy and does not complete her class work. I-low best would you help her overcome this problem?
89. Jane. a Standard Eight pupil, is being forced to get married by her parents before she sits for the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education examination. As a Christian what action should she take? She should ___
90. Which one of the following actions does not lead to the spread of HIV AIDS?
KCPE PAST PAPER FOR SOCIAL STUDIES 2008 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
PART I SOCIAL STUDIES
Study the map of MINA area and answer questions 1 to 7.
1. The length of the railway from the level crossing to the edge of the map is approximately
2. The general direction of flow of River Mina ¡s
3. Which one of the following types of soil is likely to be commonly found ¡n Gola sub-location?
4. The main factor that may have influenced the setting up of a cattle ranch in Pone sub-location is the availability of
5. In Mina Area, there are permanent settlements in all the sub-locations except
6. What evidence in the map shows that Mina Town is an administrative centre? Presence of
7. Which one of the following is the main source of revenue for Mina Urban Council?
8. Which one of the following was the title given to the ruler of Buganda Kingdom in the 19th century?
9. Which one of the following minerals is used for making glass?
10. Nairobi is cooler than Mombasa because
11. Who among the following traditional Kenyan leaders collaborated with the British during the establishment of colonial rule?
12. The diagram below represents a method of fishing.
The fishing method shown in the diagram is
13. Which one of the following was the function of the council of elders among the Ameru during the pre-colonial period?
14. In Kenya, a parliamentary bill becomes law only when it has been signed by
15. Below are some modem means of communication:
16. Which one of the following statement is true about small scale farming in Kenya?
17. Which one of the following statements correctly describes the social organization of the San during the pre-colonial period?
18. Which one of the following countries in Africa is correctly matched with its capital city?
Country Capital city
19. Which one of the following is a function of a primary school management committee?
20. The Eastern Bantu dispersed from Shungwaya during the pre-colonial period mainly because
21. Which one of the following is the main effect of destruction of forests on the slopes of Mt. Kenya?
22. Where was the first Christian mission station in Kenya established in the 19th century?
23. The darn marked P was built mainly to
24. The ocean current that influences the climate of the area marked Q is
25. The countries marked R and S were colonized by
26. The island marked T is
27. In Old Ghana, the king was succeeded by
28. The best way to control sheet erosion is by_____
29. Who among the following leaders in Tanganyika united the Africans during the Maji Maji rebellion?
30. Which one of the following cultural practices did the Abaluyia borrow from the Luo as they interacted during the pre-colonial period?
31. Which one of the following statements is true about the free range method of chicken rearing?
32. The imperial British East Africa Company stopped administering Kenya because
33. Leo has found out that his classmate Joni is living with HIV and the condition is affecting his learning. The right action for Leo to take is to ___
34. Olorgesaille and Kariandusi are both
35. Mama wishes to set up a Jua Kali industry. Which one of the following is the main factor that would influence the choice of location?
36. In traditional African communities, the basic unit of social organization was
37. Which one of the following was the main reason why the British built the Uganda railway?
38. which one of the following groups of crops in Kenya is grown mainly in plantations?
39. The method used by the Portuguese to administer Mozambique was
40. Below are ways of acquiring skills of treating the sick:
41. One of the duties of African chiefs in Kenya during the colonial period was to
42. The main problem limiting trade among African countries ¡s that
43. Which one of the following groups of mountains in Africa are block mountains?
44. Which one of the following is the main reason why caning of pupils in school was banned in Kenya?
45. Which one of the following would be the best way of controlling rapid population growth in towns in Kenya?
46. Which one of the following was the main reason why proverbs were used in teaching the youth in traditional African communities?
47. Which one of the following groups of countries in Africa got assistance from the Organization of African Unity (OAU) to achieve independence?
48. Thika has grown to an important town mainly because
49. which one of the following became the title of the Head of State in Kenya when the country was declared a republic?
50. Three of the following are benefits resulting from setting up of Perkerra Irrigation Scheme.
Which one is not?
51. A vehicle has overturned near your school arid the driver has a deep cut on the leg. Which one of the following would be the immediate action for you to take to help the driver?
52. Which one of the following courts in Kenya deals with cases involving people under 18 years of age?
53. Below are characteristics of a type of climate in Africa.
54. Which one of the following is a service industry?
55. Which one of the following statements is true of both the Tswana and the Fulani?
56. Three of the following are benefits of democracy. Which one is not?
57. Most of the horticultural products from Kenya are exported by
58. Mzee Jasho has shared his piece of land among his children. A dispute arises over the different sizes of land that they have been given. The best way for Mzee Jasho lo settle the dispute is by
59. A foreigner who wishes to become a citizen of Kenya is required to obtain
60. The reason why the Kenya National Anthem is important is that
KCPE PAST PAPERS 2007 H.R.E QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
SECTION C: HINDU RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. The sound of AUM at the beginning of a Hindu prayer signifies that Paramatma is
62. Which one of the following boxes contains the qualities of Paramatma as Satchitanand
63. The quality of Paramatma demonstrated in the personality of Veda Vyasa is
64. In which avatar did Lord Vishnu assist the Deva and Danava to get amrit from the ocean?
65. Which one of the following practices was opposed by Lord Buddha?
66. Which one of the following scriptures teaches morals through simple stories?
67. Which one of the following statements is not true about Sita?
68. Which one of the following scriptures contains the teachings of Lord Buddha?
69. who among the following personalities preached the principle of Anekantvad
70. Swami Dayanand came to know that his cook had served him with poisoned food. He told the cook to run away to avoid being punished by the King. Swami Dayanand practiced the principle of
71. The Sikhs practise the principle of Wand ke Chakhana in a Gurudwara when they
72. During the Vivaha Sanskar, the bride and the groom take a vow to share the ups and downs in their family. This is an expression of
73. The Jam principle that would best help in the fight against corruption is
74. The following are steps of a ritual performed when visiting a Mandir:
75. Which one of the following Kakars is a symbol of unity among the Sikhs?
76. What do Jams apply on their foreheads when visiting a Derasar?
77. Which one of the following is a Jam place of pilgrimage?
78. The following are events commemorated during a Hindu festival:
79. Which one of the following scriptures is read during the festival of Paryushan?
80. Which one of the following festivals is celebrated to mark the victory of good over evil?
81. Which one of the following symbols is associated with Tirthankar Neminath?
82. Who among the following personalities practised Karma Yoga?
83. Shavasana is practised in order to
84. When is Surya Namaskar performed?
85. Which one of the following yoga helps an individual develop complete faith in and loyalty to Paramatma?
86. Which one of the following principles if practised would help in the tight against the spread of HIV/AIDS?
87. Each morning, Vishal and Kalyani touch the feet of their parents. This is mainly a sign of
88. Hindus donate foodstuffs to the victims of the drought.
This act demonstrates the principle of
89. Which one of the following festivals is celebrated during the Varsha Ritu?
90. Which one of the following days of the week is correctly matched with the corresponding planet.
Day of the week Planet
SECTION B: ISLAMIC RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
KCPE PAST PAPERS 2007 IRE PAST PAPERS QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
61. Which one of the following verses from the Qur’an is found in Surah An-Nas?
62. People who are busy accumulating wealth and forgetting the punishment of disobeying Allah are mentioned in Surah
63. Which one of the following is a leaching of Surah Adiyat?
64. The Surah which must be recited by Muslims seventeen times in one day is
65. Which one of the following surahs teaches that Allah provides food and security?
66. The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, “None of you believe until you do to your brother what you would like done to you.”
This Hadith is about
67. The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, “He is not among us who eats and fills up his stomach while his neighbour is hungry.” The main teaching of this hadith is:
68. Which one of the following Statements is true about a genuine Hadith?
69. Three of the following are pillars of Salai, which one is not?
70. When is Tahiyattul Masjid performed?
71. Which one of the following acts nullifies Saum?
72. Which one of the following places is not a station of Hajj
73. Which one of the following items is liable for Zakat?
74. A person converting to Islam is required to
75. The most important teaching about the belief in Yaumul Qiyama is that it is a day when
76. Three of the following are names of angels, which one is not?
77. Which one of the following acts is most likely to lead to corruption?
78. Islam forbids the hoarding of goods in order to fight against
79. Which one of the following phrases is used by Muslims to console the bereaved members of a family?
80. Asiya’s friend Mariam has not come to school because her mother is sick. The best course of action for Asiya to take is to
81. Yusuf, a standard seven pupil borrowed a book from his friend Hassan, but before he could give it back, Hassan was transferred to another school. The right course of action for Yusuf to take is to
82. Which one of the following is a duty of Muslims to their neighbours?
83. Which one of the following is the best way of celebrating Idd-ul-fitr?
84. Which one of the following is the first ritual to be performed when a baby boy is born?
85. Which one of the following events took place in the month of Muharram?
86. The main reason why the Quraish rejected the message of Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) is that
87. According to the terms of the treaty of Hudaibiya, the peace between the Muslims arid the Quraish was to last for
88. The early Muslims settled along the coast of Kenya in order to
89. Which one of the following statements is true about Prophet Nub (A.S)?
90. Which one of (he following religions is correctly matched with Its place of worship?
Religion Place of worship
PART II RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
SECTION A: CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. The main teaching of the Genesis stories of creation is that
62. From the call of Abraham, Christians learn that they should
63. The father of Esau and Jacob was
64. Moses was not wilting to go back to Egypt when he was sent by God mainly because
65. Which one of the following commandments teaches Christians to be satisfied with what they have?
66. Which one of the following was an achievement of King David?
67. “1 inherited the vineyard from my ancestors” Naboth replied. “The Lord forbid that I should let you have it” (I Kings 21:3). From this incident of King Ahab and Naboth, Christians learn that they should
68. Prophet Elisha told the Shunamite woman that she was going to have a son because she
69. Which one of the following was a prophecy of Isaiah about the Messiah? Fie would be
70. The reason why Joseph and Mary went to Bethlehem the night Jesus was born is because they wanted to
71. What did Simeon say about baby Jesus when he was presented in the temple?
72. Jesus was baptsed in River Jordan because he wanted to
73. A lesson that Christians learn from the parable of the talents is to
74. Which one of the following miracles of Jesus shows that he was a universal saviour?
75. from the teaching of Jesus on forgiveness in the Lord’s prayer, Christians learn tha they should forgive
76. The main reason why Peter denied Jesus is because he
77. The two followers of Jesus walking to Emmaus came to know that he was the risen Lord when he
78. From the Apostle’s creed we Learn that God is
79. Which one of the following happenings took place on the day of Pentecost?
80. Which one of the following is a gift of the Holy Spirit?
81. The early Christians chose the seven deacons because they wanted them to
82. In some traditional African communities people worship in a cave because it
82. In some traditional African communities people worship in a cave because it
83. Which one of the following wedding practices is found in both Christian and traditional African communities?
84. In traditional African communities kinship ties are important mainly because they
85. The youth in traditional African societies are taught moral values by
86. The virtue of self control is best shown by Christians when they
87. While playing in the school field with your friends you pick a fifty Kenya shilling note, what would you do?
88. The best way to spend leisure after sitting the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education examination is by
89. Titus, a Standard Seven pupil does not want to help his brother in cleaning their compound because he feels it is a dirty job.
What advice would you give him? Tell him to
90. The parents of Anne a Standard Eight pupil, want her to get married to an old wealthy man hoping that this would improve their life. As a Christian what is the best action for her to take?
KCPE PAST PAPER 2007 SOCIAL STUDIES QUESTION AND ANSWERS
PART I: SOCIAL STUDIES
Study the map of TIMO area and answer questions 1 to 7.
1. What is the general direction of Wete School from the coffee factory?
2. What is the approximate area of Timo Town in square kilometers?
3. Most of the settlements in Timo area are found
4. Which one of the following features would attract tourists in Zime Location?
5. The climate experienced in Moka Location is likely to be
6. Some cows have strayed into the maize plantation in Roti Location and destroyed the crop. The correct action for the owner of the plantation to take is to
7. Which one of the following social services is not available in Timo town?
8. Which one of the following factors least explains why the Bantu migrated from their original homeland into Eastern Africa?
9. Which one of the following gives the correct the evolution of Early Man?
10. Which one of the following was a result of the coming of the Arabs to Eastern Africa?
11. The main reason for teaching moral laws to the youth is to ___
12. Which one of the following duties was performed by the Ntemi Chief among the Nyamwezi during the pre-colonial period?
13. Which one of the following method of irrigation is used in the Ahero Irrigation Scheme?
14. The graph below represents the climate of a town in Africa.
Which one of the following statements correctly describes the climate of the town?
15. One of the roles of prefects in school management is to
16. Tamaru is a sister to Mbeya. Tamaru has a son called Ndavi while Mbeya has a daughter called Maria. To Ndavi, Maria is a
17. Which one of the following is the main benefit the West African countries have gained as members of the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS)?
18. Your class went on a study tour of an area whose vegetation had the following characteristics:
19. Use the map of Africa below to answer questions 19, 20, 21 and 22.
The country marked J was colonized by
20. The main economic activity carried out in the shaded area marked K is
21. The multi-purpose project found in the place marked L is the
22. What is the time in Alexandria on longitude 30°E when it is 9.00 am in Oran on longitude 0°?
23. You have noticed that your friend Kefa has started smoking. What would be the best action for you to take in order to help him stop the behaviour?
24. Which one of the following African leaders collaborated with the Europeans during the establishment of Colonial rule?
25. The diagram below shows a method of fishing.
The fishing method represented in the diagram is
26. The main method used by the Africans in Zimbabwe to attain their independence was
27. Which one of the following is the correct order of the Provincial Administration in Kenya?
28. To make a complete rotation on its axis, the earth takes
29 Which one of the following is a benefit of a representative democracy?
30. A Standard VIII prefect finds her two classmates quarrelling in class. The right action for the prefect to take is o
31. Which one of the following methods is used to mine limestone in Kenya?
32. Which one of the following groups consists of crops grown in Kenya during the pre-colonial period?
33. Which one of the following is a way of promoting peace in society?
34. The court system in Kenya is headed by the
35. The following are conditions necessary for growing a cash crop in Africa.
36. The government of Swaziland is headed by
37. Three of the following are roles played by the early political associations ¡n Kenya between 1914 and 1945.
Which one is not?
38. Mutua, a football prayer who is representing Kenya in the Commonwealth Games is promised a lot of money by a Canadian Coach if he agrees to play for Canada. He refuses the offer.
The action by Mutua shows that
39. The Age-sex pyramid below represents the population of Germany.
Which one of the following statements is true about the population according to the pyramid?
40. Which one of the following statements is true about the geographical position of Kenya?
41. The main role of the opposition parties in a democratic system of government is to
42. Road safety education is taught in primary schools in Kenya in order to
43. The most widespread means of passing information in the rural areas of Africa is by
44. The main problem facing agricultural cooperative societies in Kenya is
45. The following are farming practices in Africa.
46. Which one of the following is an achievement of Daniel arap Moi’?
47. Which one of the following statements is true about horticultural farming in both Kenya and the Netherlands?
In both countries
48. According to the laws of Kenya, amending the constitution is the responsibility of
49 The main reason why wife inheritance should be discouraged in Kenya is because it leads to
50. Who among the following Municipal Council officials is elected?
51. Which one of the following organs of the United Nations (UN) is responsible for resolving disputes between member countries?
52. The main factor that influences the location of a furniture making industry is
53. Lewa, a pupil at Chui Primary School has been refused by his teacher to go for break for failing to answer questions in class.
Which one of the following child rights has Lewa been denied?
54. Which one of the following types of soil erosion is correctly matched with the area where it commonly occurs?
55. Which one of the following is the best way of conserving wildlife?
56. The Atlas mountains were formed as a result of
57. The main problem resulting from rapid population growth in the rural areas in Kenya is that it has led to
58. Three of the following are problems experienced in urban centres in Kenya.
Which one is not?
59. David Smith, a former British citizen has acquired Kenyan Citizenship through naturalization. Smith may loose his Kenyan citizenship if he
60 In Kenya the national flag is raised in order to
SECTION C: HINDU RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
KCSE PAST PAPERS 2006 HRE QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
61. Which one of the following Panch Mahabhoot enables one to experience the Sagun Sakar Parmatma?
62. On his rerurn from his visit to Lord Krishna, Sudama found that his hut had turned into a
63. Who among the following saints founded the ‘Swami Narayan Panth?
64. Vardhaman was given the title of “Mahavir” because he
65. Adi Shankaracharya preached that
66. Guru Dhronacharya sent two of his students to look for a virtuous person in the city of Hastinapur. They were
67. The turning point in the life of Valiya the robber came when
68. When Rama, Sita and Laxman reached Dandakaranya, at the start of their exile. Bharat followed them in order to
69. After the battle of Kurukshetra, Bhishma stayed alive for six months on a bed of
70. Which one of the following sicknesses can be prevented by observing the principle of sheel?
71. Which one of the following principles is correctly matched with its practice?
72. According to Lord Buddha, the root cause of suffering is
73. Hindus observe Shraadh in Pitrupaksha by
74. The Sikhs recite Moot Mantra in order to
75. Hindu performs the five yajnas during the Ashram of
76. Which one of the following Mantra pays respect to Acharya?
77. Moving a plate of Aarti clockwise, in front of a Muni signifies
78. Which one of the following parts of the Jam Swastika symbolises liberation?
79. The following statements describe a Hindu Sanskar:
80. On the forth day of Paryushan Parva, Jains celebrate the Janamdin of
81. Which one of the following pairs of items is offered to the sacred fire during Holi Utsav?
82. who among the following personalities mainly practised Bhakti Yoga?
83. “Whatever you do, do it as a selfless offering to me,” Which one of the following Yoga did Lord Krishna preach to Arjun when he said this?
84. The following are steps of performing a Yogasana:
85. Afya Primary School has started a project to help the elderly people in the community. Which one of the following Sadachar is demonstrated by this action?
86. Shefali, who has a habit of stealing, was caught taking a pen from Amrita’s bag. Amrita can help Shefali stop this habit by
87. Which one of the following activities by Hindus would best promote religious harmony in Kenya?
88. According to the Hindu calendar, Adhik Maas occurs every
89. The presiding deity in the Tìrthakshetra of Rameshwaram, Badrinath and Somnath is
90. The following statements describe a Sikh Tirthakshetra:
KCPE PAST PAPERS 2006 IRE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
SECTION B: ISLAMIC RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. Which one of the following Surah must be recited when performing salat?
62. Which one of the following quotations is not taken from Surah Fatiha?
63. A whole Surah that teaches on the Oneness of Allah is
64. The incident of the destruction of Abrahah’s army narrated in Surah Fil teaches that
65. Which one of the following is a teaching from Surah Kafirun?
66. Which one of the following is an Islamic rule on eating?
67. Which one of the following words completes the quoted Hadith? “The generous man is nearer Allah, nearer Paradise, nearer man and far from..
68. Which one of the following Hadith condemns corruption in society?
69. On which one of the following occasions is a Muslim not required to pronounce the Kalima?
70. Which one of the following is a compulsory act of wudhu?
71. Who among the following categories of people are exempt from fasting?
72. An activity of Hajj which reminds Muslims of the patience of Hajar is
73. Which one of the following is a pillar of Iman?
74. What is the duty of Angel Mikaeel
75. Nabi Ibrahirn was thrown into the fire because he
76. which one of the following is the main reason why Allah created man according to the Holy Quran?
77. Three of the following are similarities between ldd and Friday prayers. Which one is not?
78. When is the dua Alhamdullilah recited?
79. Najma arrives at school and finds that the other pupils are at assembly. What is the right cause of action for her to take?
80. Muslims can best help beggars by providing them with
81. Which one of the following is not an Islamic teaching on the treatment of orphans?
82. Which one of the following activities is performed in the Mosque?
84. Abdalla who owns a shop gives the following business practices as his secrets of success. Which one of them is allowed in Islam?
85. Which one of the following acts of Ibadah is performed by Kenyan Muslims during Iddul-Adha?
86. The year AD 630 when Muslims conquered Makka without bloodshed is referred to as
87. The Muslims lost in the battle of Uhud because
88. Which one of one following was a result of the persecution of early Muslims in Makka?
89. Prophet Muhammad built the first Mosque at
90. Who among the following European nationals were driven out of the coast of Kenya by the Muslims in 1729?
PART II RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
SECTION A: CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
61. Which one of the following actions made God chase Adam and Eve from the garden of Eden?
62. Who among the following people was asked by God to give his son as a sacrifice?
63. From the incident when Joseph welcomed his brothers in Egypt Christians learn that they should be ___
64. The Jews celebrate the Passover feast to remember when ___
65. Which one of the following commandments shows respect for human life?
66. Who among the following kings of Israel took Naboth’s vineyard?
67. From the story of King Solomon the best gift one can ask God for is
68. Which one of the following statements is true about the teaching of Jeremiah on the New Covenant?
69. Who among the following prophets foretold that the Messiah would be born in the town of Bethlehem?
70. After Angel Gabriel told Zechariah that his wife would bear him a son, Zechariah was unable to speak because he
71. Herod wanted to kill Jesus when he was born because he feared that Jesus would
72. “So when you give something to a needy person, do not make a big show of it” (Matthew 6: 2). Which one of the following values do Christians learn from this teaching?
73. Which one of the following parables of Jesus teaches Christians to take care of people with special needs? The parable of the ___
74. The lesson Christians learn from the healing of the ten lepers is that they should
75. When Zacchaeus said that he would give half of his belongings to the poor it showed that he __
76. In which one of the following occasions did Jesus identify the disciple who was going to betray him?
77. The action of Jesus which teaches Christians that there is life after death is
78. Which one of the following beliefs about God is found in the Apostles Creed? He is
79. Who among the following people was raised by Peter from the dead?
80. The main lesson to be learnt from the story of Ananias and Sapphira is that Christians should
81. Which one of the following is a gift of the Holy Spirit?
82. In traditional African communities people reconciled with God mainly by ____
83. Which one of the following marriage practices is found in both Christianity and traditional African communities?
84. Which one of the following is the main reason why traditional African communities are against abortion? It ___
85. Which one of the following activities best shows that Christians are disciples of Jesus Christ?
86. The main reason why Christians condemn prostitution is because it leads to
87. The best use of leisure by Christian youths would be to
88. You and your friend James are on duty to sweep the classroom. James has refused to sweep saying that there are workers employed to keep the school clean. As a Christian what action would you take?
89. You have noticed that your friend Philip has been going out of school during class time and you would like him to stop. As a Christian you should
90. Mary, your schoolmate has joined a group of youths who smoke cigarettes. What would be the best thing for you to do?